check THE CURRENT STATE OF V:TES - November 2015

03 Nov 2015 05:31 #74047 by elotar
There is no such thing as "rights on the game", all what is really legally defendable is art assets.

As I remember from some earlier discussion - there are some cards (parity shift?) wich can't be reprinted by WW because of problems with rights(on picture?), so I've made a conclution, that rights on all other cards and game materials (rulebook) are fine.

Obviously, if we are feeling paranoid, we can remake all art assets (pictures, layout, icons, rulebook).

Probably we should do it anyway - it's all very outdated (full bleed ftw) and confusing (we need to color code and layout code different types of cards and disciplines), as well as it'll be the reason for old players to buy reprints.

Yea, and getting rid of events and imbueds already will be fine too.

B-)

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Goudie, brettscho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 06:59 #74049 by Blooded Sand

Yea, and getting rid of imbueds already will be fine too.

B-)

There, I fixed that for you

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:

More
03 Nov 2015 07:08 #74050 by Ashur

There is no such thing as "rights on the game", all what is really legally defendable is art assets.

I´ve tried to say this, but I guess it depends on where you are. In the US you seem to be able to get into legal trouble even though you are right :)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Goudie

More
03 Nov 2015 07:48 #74051 by Ankha

My only concern is that WotC does not want to let the game be printed because they think that VTES players will eventually turn to Magic if VTES dies, or that reopening VTES will lure some players away/back from Magic, i.e. reprinting will make Wizards lose MtG revenue.

Worse case: they sell V:TES cards instead of M:TG card. Considering the amount of work to print V:TES cards (almost none), it's a balanced bargain.
Best case: they sell V:TES cards and M:TG cards.

I'm sure they are probably aware that they must find alternative revenues, in case the players move away to other games they don't publish.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Nov 2015 07:54 #74052 by BenPeal

You are correct about copyrights for game mechanics. You remain incorrect about trademarks and patents. Please read the following:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/493249/mythbusting-game-design-and-copyright-trademarks-a

And before any of you get ideas about how Wizards' patents have expired, please read this:

www.uspto.gov/patents-maintaining-patent/maintain-your-patent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
03 Nov 2015 08:48 - 03 Nov 2015 08:49 #74054 by Ashur

You are correct about copyrights for game mechanics. You remain incorrect about trademarks and patents. Please read the following:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/493249/mythbusting-game-design-and-copyright-trademarks-a

Yes, so it´s no problem to print the game unless you use trademarked stuff and violate copyrights that you don´t own. As I understand it, the only thing regarding Vtes that is owned by WotC is the "Deckmaster"-trademark. Anyone, please correct me with some decent argument if you have it!

And before any of you get ideas about how Wizards' patents have expired, please read this:

www.uspto.gov/patents-maintaining-patent/maintain-your-patent

My idea is that is has expired, because I´ve used this fancy tool to calculate it:
www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-calculator
You cannot pay to maintain a patent beyond 20 years: "Maintenance fees are due three times during the life of a patent, and may be paid without surcharge at 3 to 3.5 years, 7 to 7.5 years, and 11 to 11.5 years after the date of issue."

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 08:49 by Ashur.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds