question-circle New Rules for Final ?

08 Nov 2012 11:48 #40626 by Lemminkäinen

My point exactly. I can't remember seeing anyone add time or even caution players for slow play, although the option exists.

But how easy is it to isolate actual incidents of such behaviour? Vtes does take some brainpower and at the finals people have already had quite a few games. Add to this that some decks simply take longer than others either due to the fact that they offer more options which take time to ponder on or simply due to having more stuff happening.

I mean, the idea is fine in principle but is really feasible in practice?

In essence it would mean that judges should be really quick on the trigger right from the start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2012 12:11 #40631 by acbishop
Replied by acbishop on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?
I've judged several tournaments, and I've never added time for slow play... however I informed several times a player who was (in my opinion) playing slowly that I was thinking about addind time to the table if he continued playing slowly, with this caution message ALWAYS the player played faster.

Players in Paris and in Barcelona know me as a judge and they know I'm capable of adding time, so most of the time players tend to play in a good speed.

During finals I've cut too much chatting among the players if I considered conversation was becoming cyclic and pointless, for avoiding time limits for losing too much time during the final.

Saying that, I have to admit that I didn't see EC Day 1 finals, but I saw EC day 2 and I didn't appreciate stalling or slow playing, at least not during the second hour of the game. Isak played correctly his deck bleeding everyturn and trying to advance to get his prey(s) without trying to lose time and getting the final cause of a timeout.

:vtes:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara

More
08 Nov 2012 12:58 - 08 Nov 2012 14:49 #40638 by Boris The Blade

Everybody was pleased to be playing and placing themselves as in the "real" Final...

That is a strong point, independently from the effect on speed of play. If it can make tournaments more enjoyable for everyone, what's the problem? Especially since the players that do not make it to the finals are likely to be the least hardcore ones, the harder ones to convince to come back tournament after tournament. Improving their experience can only help in maintaining the player base.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 14:49 by Boris The Blade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
08 Nov 2012 14:41 #40651 by Forhead
Replied by Forhead on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?
I have judge a lot of finals in Sweden I tell the finalists that slow play and talking/dealing in circles will result in me intervening and adding time. Works like a charm.

Isak Esbjörnsson Bjärmark
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, acbishop, KevinM

More
08 Nov 2012 15:40 #40657 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?
Ok everyone for the adding time possibility but what do you think of my proposal ?

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

More
08 Nov 2012 15:44 #40659 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: New Rules for Final ?

It would be nice if the players wouldn't know the ranking before the finals (other that they're being finalists). Random seating implied of course. So their would be less incentive to stall for the top seed.

Stalling is illegal. How many times does this need to be said?

"But KevinM, judges can't always tell if it's stalling, so we need more rules!"

Then those judges are weak and should be replaced by better judges.

Hey! I'm currently unemployed, and I'm able to tell, in every case -- yes, in every case -- when stalling is happening. So I propose that the VEKN employ me to judge every tournament everywhere in the world and train judges as I go. That way, in about a year, no one anywhere will ever again be able to stall and get away with it, as they evidently are doing right now.
;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erol, Vlad

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds