file Would you accept tournaments with Proxies ? and Why

28 Feb 2014 11:46 #59459 by Vlad
Hello fellow Methuselahs !

We've been discussing that a lot with some friends and/or players (on line and IRL) and we were wondering if the solution to gain new players (as PoD seems last on "Powers that Be" To Do List) would be to accept proxies in "legal play"...

Knowing that "legal play" still remains what we (as Vekn volunteers) decide it to be...

The first advantage would be to enable new players to try the "Enkil Cog - Ashur Tablets - Warghouls - Summon History" decks without having to pay $$$$$...

The first drawback is that we need to "create" a standard for those proxies...
Whether it's the same than for Danse macabre, or another one...

As long as these cards can't be detected (if the deck isn't full of it) while playing them...

And when the PoD, or someone wanting to pay the Copyrights fees, is back on its trail, then we can ban those proxies again... (or designate those proxies tournies as Unsanctioned)

So, what's your opinion on it, and please detail your pros and cons

Have a nice week end.

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2014 12:28 #59461 by Kiddo
Actually, I'm against it.

However, personally, I find a 'collectible' part of this hobby to play a big part of the whole experience and, perhaps more importantly, I can borrow pretty much any card(s) for any deck I'd ever want to attend a tournament with, as can any player in my group, again, in no small part due to us being also collectors and having quite extensive collections of cards we tend to play with...

I can see the other side of the problem, but personally, as someone who did spend a lot of money on cards, I'm not for proxies on tournament level.

More
28 Feb 2014 12:46 #59462 by Haze
I'm not convinced that the money cards for certain combo decks are a top priority for new players...

And when the PoD, or someone wanting to pay the Copyrights fees, is back on its trail, then we can ban those proxies again... (or designate those proxies tournies as Unsanctioned)

I don't have a big opinion on this issue either way, but I can see how both groups, collectors and proxiers, can get discouraged by big changes back and forth. it might please everybody, but it could very easily please nobody.

More
28 Feb 2014 13:00 #59463 by kombainas

I'm not convinced that the money cards for certain combo decks are a top priority for new players...

Both true and not. While you do not lose much by not playing with Summon Histories from the very start, you are pretty much locked out from half of working (!) deck concepts without Villein. Given there are not that many new players around and some have played this for 15+ yrs, you pretty much need a working deck to enjoy the game (winning once in a month might be ok, winning once a year - not so much). 100+ $ initial investment for 6 cards is quite a bit to ask.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
28 Feb 2014 14:55 #59469 by librarian
Idea: 50ish cards that can be legally proxied. The rest players need to own the real cards.

Villein
Ashur
Carlton
Pentex
etc
etc
etc

More
28 Feb 2014 15:08 #59472 by a-e
If proxies would become tournament legal, I would play only with proxies and get rid of my collection. 60k+ cards take some amount of room to store.

Then again, if some company would continue printing vtes later on and then would all proxies be banned, that would be the point when I'd stop playing.

Marko, Prince of Helsinki

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds