file Would you accept tournaments with Proxies ? and Why

19 Mar 2014 02:10 #60085 by librarian

I'd be one thousand percent behind a netrunner-esque revival with some streamlining of rules and a more LCG format.

I'm not sure I agree. And the main reason is because VTES has no card limits per deck. In a card-limit environment, an LCG makes sense. But without card limits, you can't provide someone with just 4 of any given card. It won't work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 02:16 #60086 by Ke.

Employing proxies is also the way to get sufficient density of what I'll call "problem cards" into the hands of every player. Get enough copies in circulation and maybe we'll get some traction on errata or banning.

Or contest more frequently. We allowed proxies in casual games for the sake of convenience and then borrowed for tournaments when needed — "Are you using all four of your cogs this weekend?"

:sick:

More
19 Mar 2014 02:19 #60087 by self biased

"Are you using all four of your cogs this weekend?"

surely an awkward question...

More
19 Mar 2014 02:56 #60089 by ReverendRevolver

"Are you using all four of your cogs this weekend?"

surely an awkward question...

Its slightly more polite than:

"Hey, are you playing that turbo nergal sleeze bullshit, or can I by any chance borrow a cog?"

(Sidenote, ive asked this question, but not about borrowing a cog. I happened upon a copy of true faith and flashed it ironically to a player before a tournament, insunuating a card like that mattered against turbo nergal....)

As for the lcg thing....... no, cant say i agree. The diversity in vtes comes alot from cardpool, so while streamlining andrereleasing a similar game could be neat, especially once pattons lapse and such, the 40% of our cardpool that is vital would be thinned too much for it to still feel like vtes in the creative and overly strategic parts.
Netrunner isnt mtg, but its not vtes either. If we were boardgames, mtg is akin to trouble, netrunner is mousetrap, and vtes is somewhere between monopoly and clue(ummm, before they changed the backstoey of clue. Stupid society.....)
You cant expect mousetrap to play like trouble, and cant expect monopoly to flow without railroads and hotel options.

We could ban junk if we get printed, just to make cardpool less crappy. Or havexan eternal format allowing things like blooding and eyes of the dead, so new players dont have to look at actually everything to getca look at cardpool.

More
19 Mar 2014 07:30 #60093 by Lönkka

Any cards I own are promos I've gotten by playing tournaments for the 2-3 years I've been playing this game.

Plenty of sets are still available.
Plenty of single cards are still available.

You sure sound to me like you don't EVER want to invest ANY money to the game.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Mar 2014 08:49 #60094 by Brum
I've been an huge supporter of allowing proxies and was one of the most vocal persons in that regard, be it here or in NC meetings.
I simply changed my mind by having discussions such as this one.

Proxies help create a standard meta, because new players will netdeck much more.
An argument I haven't thought until someone mentioned was:
Imagine you allow proxies and then the game gets picked up again. What then? People will lose their proxies, specially those that will be more expensive cards again. If they continuing in VtES was dependant on the use of proxies, they will now leave.
Yes, we will have the same issue with the new VEKN expansions.

Remember, the longer the game is without an owner, the less these decisions are black and white.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds