file Superior Faceless Night vs. action fails

23 Feb 2012 01:03 #23898 by AaronC
Does the effect of superior Faceless Night still apply to blocking minions if the action fails?

The card text says the tapping happens when the action resolves. Does a fizzled action resolve?

This question came up in a tournament this weekend when one my prey's Imbued attempted to block my vampire with :OBF:. I played superior Faceless Night, and the block was unsuccessful. I played a bleed modifier, then one of my prey's Imbued used Champion to cause the action to fail (and start a combat between the two minions). The judge ruled that the first minion attempting to block was still tapped by superior Faceless Night. There are many reasons an action can fail, but I couldn't find a ruling about this.

Faceless Night
[Action Modifier] Action Modifier
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] +1 stealth, and any minion who attempts to block this action and fails becomes tapped when the action is resolved (before resolving the action).
You are eternity's hostage,
a captive of time.

Boris Pasternak, Night

Champion
Power
Defense
[REACTION] [2 CONVICTION] Only usable when a monster controlled by another Methuselah is taking a (D) action against you or against an imbued controlled by any player. The action fails and the acting monster enters combat with this imbued instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 01:59 #23899 by Juggernaut1981
Since the action failed (by other means), the minion cannot have managed to block it. So I would say Faceless Night would tap the minion which had attempted to block.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Feb 2012 05:31 #23905 by AaronC
Faceless Night (sup) says "becomes tapped when the action is resolved".

The way I understand it, a fizzled action is not resolved. If so, according to the exact wording of the card, minions who attempted but failed to block would not tap.

More
23 Feb 2012 07:06 #23915 by Ankha
According to the West Seide Story (www.veknfrance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16155), an action failed is resolved (though not successful). Faceless Night applies.

I couldn't find a link though, better search hard :)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
23 Feb 2012 07:51 - 23 Feb 2012 07:52 #23920 by Pascal Bertrand
When an action is blocked, the combat generated by the block is the resolution of the action.
All actions resolve, except those that are canceled.

Faceless Night taps minions who failed to successfully block, regardless of what happens to the action. [LSJ 19990526] (this is based on the "old" text of Faceless Night, which was explicit. LSJ confirms the new text is not an errata to the old one here: [LSJ 20020321] )

Examples: A blocked Force of Will will inflict its agg damage after that combat.
Seraph's Second is usable if the acting Black Hand was blocked.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 07:52 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
23 Feb 2012 09:36 #23921 by henrik

Faceless Night taps minions who failed to successfully block, regardless of what happens to the action. [LSJ 19990526] (this is based on the "old" text of Faceless Night, which was explicit. LSJ confirms the new text is not an errata to the old one here: [LSJ 20020321] )

According to those rulings, Faceless Night does not (as it should, according to it's card text) wait until action resolution to tap the relevant minion/s.

From [LSJ 19990526] :

(It taps an unsuccessful blocker when the controller declares "no more block attempts" or when another minion's block is successful.)

Further confirmation here:
[LSJ 20000814]

I think card text should probably be changed to "after block attempts are resolved or declined" or something along those lines, instead of the current "when the action is resolved (before resolving the action)".

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds