file Superior Faceless Night vs. action fails

24 Feb 2012 00:19 #24008 by AaronC
Okay, obviously you can't play Freak Drive after an "action fails" effect, but is there a window for playing "action ends" cards?

According to Kevin there is, but I don't see any rules references or rulings to back that up.

"Action ends" specifically sounds like it would go to the end-of-the-action timing window in a way similar to "combat ends" effects taking you to the end-of-the-round/end-of-combat windows.

"Action fails" sounds like it would do exactly the same thing as "action ends". Would love to see a reference as to how they're different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2012 00:29 #24010 by Wedge
There is no window for either, by card text. Basic FD is playable after a successful action and superior after a block.

More
24 Feb 2012 01:42 #24011 by AaronC

There is no window for either, by card text. Basic FD is playable after a successful action and superior after a block.

The rules reference calls the window "Action ends". It's section IV.E. of the outline. This is the window in which you play Freak Drive, Voter Captivation, Cryptic Rider, Provision of the Silsila, and, I imagine, others.

More
24 Feb 2012 01:52 #24012 by Wedge
Freak Drive
:modifier: :blood: Fortitude

:for: Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the action). This vampire untaps.
:FOR: As above, but usable even if the action is blocked (play after combat, if any).

More
24 Feb 2012 02:09 #24013 by AaronC
Did you check the rules reference before posting, I wonder? If card text says when something happens, then it describes the timing window. Using that timing window is outlined in the reference.

Combat is part of resolving a blocked action. After the combat resolves you play effects that occur at the end of the action, like superior Freak Drive or Provision of the Silsila.

If you dispensed with the "as above" clause, the superior Freak Drive text could read as "Only usable at the end of an action (after resolving the action or combat, if any)." That's the "action ends" window I'm talking about that the rules reference mentions in IV.E.

Getting back to topic, I still would like to see more documentation about the difference between 'action ends' and 'action fails' that Kevin describes. I want more evidence about the fate of the 'action ends' window when applied to 'action ends' or 'action fails' effects.

More
24 Feb 2012 02:24 - 24 Feb 2012 02:30 #24014 by KevinM

Okay, obviously you can't play Freak Drive after an "action fails" effect,

You can't play Freak Drive, no. ***I was incorrect about that, I had misread the text on Freak Drive.***

You CAN play "end of action" cards after an "action fails" effect, if card text allows (which is what I meant to say earlier, sorry).

CLARIFICATION: groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/89ff5adca284392c

but is there a window for playing "action ends" cards?

"Action ends" specifically sounds like it would go to the end-of-the-action timing window in a way similar to "combat ends" effects taking you to the end-of-the-round/end-of-combat windows.

Yeah, it does sound like that, I agree.

"Action fails" sounds like it would do exactly the same thing as "action ends". Would love to see a reference as to how they're different.

CLARIFICATION: groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b00db622d25f67a9

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 24 Feb 2012 02:30 by KevinM.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds