file Justicar Retribution

24 May 2012 16:26 #31116 by jamesatzephyr

Hmm. I guess we don't really know, since no rule or explicit ruling exists that says that bleed modifiers may not be played during a non-bleed action.

Rulings stating that you can't play (for example) Bonding on a non-bleed action have been cited in this very thread. A general ruling that you can't modify a non-existent bleed have been cited in this very thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2012 20:46 - 24 May 2012 20:46 #31122 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Justicar Retribution

3.6. Can Bonding be played on a non-bleed action?
No. You may not play superior Bonding on a non-bleed action just to
get the stealth. In general, you may only play action modifiers which
are appropriate to the action.

The ruling is about Bonding specifically. You seemed to cite two different rulings, but I couldn't find the second, the one about modifying an non-existent bleed. The point that I made previously about this ruling (and that ruling is not in this site under "All Rulings", by the way) does not explicitly say what action modifiers are "appropriate" to which actions. The ruling was not made by the original game designer, I don't think. It does not even specifically rule out playing superior Bonding on a non-bleed action in order to cycle the card as opposed to in order to increase stealth.

The intention of rules team could have been made very clear simply by saying: "You may not play bleed modifiers on a non-bleed action". But it does not actually say that anywhere, as far as I can tell. I mean, say what you mean, right? Yes, that's a side rant.

My main point is that the word "bleed" on card texts when used to refer to a minion must refer to the minion's "bleed amount". Effects that change the minion's "bleed" change a characteristic of the minion, not the characteristic of an action. A bleed action has no inherent value. The bleed amount of the minion is the actual value of the amount of pool that might be burned by the action. The ruling on Justicar Retribution says that you judge a minion's current bleed (amount) as it would be during a bleed action, when there is no reason to do so and it is counter-intuitive to do so since such a bleed amount would not be "current" during the referendum of a political action.
Last edit: 24 May 2012 20:46 by AaronC.

More
24 May 2012 21:34 - 24 May 2012 21:35 #31126 by vtesocrates

It does not even specifically rule out playing superior Bonding on a non-bleed action in order to cycle the card as opposed to in order to increase stealth.

Yes, it does. "In general, you may only play action modifiers which are appropriate to the action." Bonding is not appropriate to a hunt action.
Last edit: 24 May 2012 21:35 by vtesocrates.

More
25 May 2012 05:05 - 25 May 2012 05:07 #31145 by jamesatzephyr

The ruling is about Bonding specifically. You seemed to cite two different rulings, but I couldn't find the second, the one about modifying an non-existent bleed.

Ask someone to fix your computer for you, then.

For example, we have:
[LSJ 19970917]

LSJ wrote:
The ruling that you can't play Bonding on a non-bleed action didn't "fix" Bonding - Bonding wasn't broken. It corrected some players' attempts to use the card in a manner that they felt was consistent with card text but which violated a general rule (you can't play bleed modifiers on a non-bleed action).

This is the very simple ruling you said doesn't exist. You can't play bleed modifiers on non-bleed actions.

[LSJ 20020106]
LSJ wrote:
Argument) Apply (and ignore) the +bleed.
Response) Can't modify a bleed that doesn't exist. (as James also said, with citations)

Note: Confusion modifies the bleed, not the minion. The +bleed would carry over through a Mask, for example.

You can't modify a bleed that doesn't exist.

And the many rulings on Bonding.
Last edit: 25 May 2012 05:07 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds