file "As Played" Window Ruling Contradictions?

02 Aug 2012 15:47 - 02 Aug 2012 15:53 #34209 by jamesatzephyr

If you don't want to, you call the judge over and ask them to correct the misplay.

Except... there is no misplay. See below.

If the player was under the impression that they could make the decision after replacing, there has been a misplay - either they didn't fully declare the effect, or they replaced too early. So call the judge. The judge may not feel the need to apply a state correction, but they can explain the rules to the player as necessary.

If the player is intentionally trying to cheat, then that's a separate problem.

In either case, call the judge over.

Of course, a player may also be declaring an effect fully, makign their redraw and then wishing they'd done something different. Who hasn't played a Minion Tap for 3, drawn into their copy of Giant's Blood and wished it had been for 6 instead? That's life, obviously.

The difference in misplays is that you *must* announce for how much you play Villein. You *must* choose if you want to have transfers when Leandro is in play. Burning the Blood Doll is optional.

Fully declaring the effect of a card you're using is not optional.

"The player completely declares the effect of the card when it is played."

Thus, they have to choose whether or not to use any optional effects, which level to play it at, how much blood to spend on it (for cards with a cost of X), and so on. (Of course, this sort of choice is different from the 'optional press later this round' sort of optional, which simply means you don't have to use it later this round.) Referendum terms are the principle exception (defined in the rulebook) - you know what the possibly referendum is, but not which Methuselahs are being chosen, or whatever. Card text could also define exceptions here - I can't think of any off-hand.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 15:53 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2012 18:09 - 03 Aug 2012 03:04 #34218 by er-principe

There are cards with card text. Some cards are allowed in a given window, by explicit rule. Some cards are not. This has nothing to do with the speed of the card. This is not Magic. The cards are played based on card text and the rules, not on some bizarre reconstruction of V:TES using Magic rules

I've already said: call it whatever you want, but with card cancelers
you have instant effect which interrupts other cards - period
Going ahead ignoring the plain fact and evidence will not help
in having better rules - such mess with "wake yes, other effect no" in the "as played window" is just another example of this (we have others, but is just useless to discuss with people refusing to ackowledge evidence)
Just to make clear my thought one final time: i think that only cards allowed in the "as played window" should be the ones with explicit text on it (and thus, wakes shouldn't be allowed in that window with an arbitrary rule as it has been done)

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 03:04 by er-principe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porphyrion

More
02 Aug 2012 19:08 #34220 by Megabaja
@Anka: I think you missed my post about stacks, I guess you were busy finding that thank you button on all of james' posts:

But your demonstration is not correct.
Let say we have five player table. Five anarch decks. Acting minion calls an action. All players have wakes, DI's and Power of All in decks. Number of stacks made this way is really big, and not just two. And they all open inside new "as announced/as played" windows.

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:

More
03 Aug 2012 04:19 - 03 Aug 2012 04:27 #34232 by Ankha

@Anka: I think you missed my post about stacks, I guess you were busy finding that thank you button on all of james' posts:

Let say we have five player table. Five anarch decks. Acting minion calls an action. All players have wakes, DI's and Power of All in decks. Number of stacks made this way is really big, and not just two. And they all open inside new "as announced/as played" windows.

First, I'll recall what is a stack: Stack

And how many stacks can you have? Well, only one. Count by yourself, or I'll redo it for you.

Without wakes

A plays Govern. B plays Power of All to cancel it (stack level: 1). C plays DI on Power of All (stack level: 2).

The stack looks like
GtU
GtU > Power of All
GtU > Power of All > DI

One stack, going to a depth of 2.

Then DI cancels Power of All (GtU is left), then we continue.

What happens now if someone plays also a Wake?

A plays Govern. B plays Forced Awakening (stack level: 1). C plays DI on Forced Awakening (stack level: 2).

GtU
GtU > Forced Awakening
GtU > Forced Awakening > DI

Then DI cancels Forced Awakening (GtU is left), then we continue.

It's exactly the same. One stack, a depth of 2.

Let's say now that C doesn't DI the Forced Awakening.

A plays Govern. B plays Forced Awakening (stack level: 1). Nobody cancels it (otherwise it's the previous case). Now B plays Power of All (still stack level:1). C plays DI on Rewind Time (stack level: 2).

GtU
GtU > Forced Awakening
Forced Awakening isn't canceled so is active for the current action
GtU
GtU > Power of All
GtU > Power of All > DI

Hmmm, still 1 stack with a maximum depth of 2.

By recurrence, you can go to depth n and see no difference with or without wakes:

GtU > Power of All > Power of All#2 (depth 2)
GtU > Power of All > Power of All#2 > DI (depth 3)

vs

GtU > Power of All > Wake (depth 2)
GtU > Power of All > Wake > DI (depth 3)

or

GtU > Power of All > Wake (depth 2)
Wake isn't canceled and resolves
GtU > Power of All
GtU > Power of All > Power of All#2 (depth 2)
GtU > Power of All > Power of All#2 > DI (depth 3)

etc.

Conclusion
You may play more cards (up to twice as many if all your vampires play Wake + Power of All), but the stack "depth" doesn't change, and you can't have two parallel stacks, one for the Forced Awakening, one for the Power of All, at the same time.

Please point out the error if you find any, rather than saying the demonstration is not correct without any proof nor credibility.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 04:27 by Ankha.

More
03 Aug 2012 06:12 - 03 Aug 2012 06:13 #34239 by jamesatzephyr

I've already said: call it whatever you want, but with card cancelers
you have instant effect which interrupts other cards - period

No, you've simply decided that this is a model you want V:TES to follow.

There are no instant effects. The instant effect of DI is no more instant than playing Freak Drive - they both resolve when played. DI is played in a different timing window to Freak, which is played in a different timing window to Undead Strength (which has a split play/resolve, similar to actions, unlike DI and Freak), which is played in a different timing window to Eagle Sight.

Rules and card text define what goes on in various timing windows.

Going ahead ignoring the plain fact and evidence will not help

The plain fact here is that you're taking concepts from other games that don't apply to V:TES, and then trying to use them to justify breaking a simple explicit rule in V:TES.

V:TES doesn't have effects happening at 'instant' speed. The Barrens is banned from being used in a particular timing window because of explicit rule text. Even if you can justify it being 'instant', it still can't go in that window - because of:

a) explicit rules text, and
b) the problem being solved by that rules text.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 06:13 by jamesatzephyr.

More
03 Aug 2012 06:16 - 03 Aug 2012 06:22 #34240 by jamesatzephyr

Whether you choose to model that as multiple stacks, or one large stack, isn't terribly relevant.

What is relevant is that the fewer things that can be used in that window, the less likely you are to have humongous piles of this crap to plough through. Which is, in fact, the main point of keeping the cancellation window as simple as it is - so far as is possible with the effects that existed in the game at the time (principally DI, of course, since it's so easy to use), allow the game to proceed in a timely fashion if you can. Playing or not playing DI may be a difficult, time-consuming decision, of course - but that's still simpler than the alternatives with potentially many more effects going off first.

You might choose to keep wakes out of it - and I probably wouldn't have ruled this way had it been me making the choice way back when - but it doesn't actually cause any problems (for players who've read the rules, obviously - those relying on spidey-senses can't be helped) and enables some more options in a fairly harmless fashion. And removing the ability to play Wakes wouldn't actually remove the whole "there's something going before replace" issue anyway, since it would still apply to cancellation cards. And since it's in printed rulebooks, there seems little incentive to change at this point.

I'll note that it seems odd that "play/cancel/resolve" is apparently causing players such hardship to understand, yet the same people complaining appear to want to stuff many, many stacks of effects into the cancellation window for the sake of all the poor, poor players who can't understand play/cancel/resolve. And if a player can't understand play/cancel/resolve, 97 simultaneous stacks being interrupted by me tapping two Mountains and an Island, then sac-ing my enchant? Not really gonna fly. This seems... inconsistent.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 06:22 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds