file Dance Macabre requirements

09 Jan 2014 22:08 #58443 by BenPeal

Ben suggests that the organiser brings along enough good printouts (and some scissors). This way "good Danse Macabre printouts" would be our new promo cards. Well, why not? But how much is enough? And is this really the way how it should be?

According to the tournament rules, anyone using cards from a PDF expansion must use full-color printouts. In practice (as we've seen), most will do so and a few won't. Rather than make a mountain out of a molehill with respect to adherence to tournament rules, it'd be useful for a tournament organizer to bring enough full-color copies of the cards to cover one person who didn't follow the rules. That would amount to 6 copies of the crypt card PDFs and 10-12 copies of the library card PDFs. For Danse Macabre, that would be 42 total pages. That's probably 20 bucks at Kinko's.

Is that how it should be? As in, is it unfair that you would have to spend 20 bucks on behalf of someone unwilling to do this themself? I dunno...is it worth $20 to not have a silly argument? Make them buy you a couple beers or something for the favor. Or be happy knowing you're the hero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TorranceCircle, self biased

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2014 23:02 #58444 by TorranceCircle

would be 42 total pages. That's probably 20 bucks at Kinko's.

Has anyone done this yet? That is, gone to to Kinko's and printed the PDFs. (out on the West Cosat of the States Kinko's is now FedEx Office) I ask because I went to print them out and I was told they won't print copyrighted material. I tried to explain but they weren't having it. What should I tell them? I don't know if this is the norm or if I happened to visit the FedEx office with the employees with wild hair up there .......!

As of yet, I haven't had time to try another store.
The following user(s) said Thank You: librarian, Shodan

More
10 Jan 2014 05:37 #58450 by Von_Polack

would be 42 total pages. That's probably 20 bucks at Kinko's.

Has anyone done this yet? That is, gone to to Kinko's and printed the PDFs. (out on the West Cosat of the States Kinko's is now FedEx Office) I ask because I went to print them out and I was told they won't print copyrighted material. I tried to explain but they weren't having it. What should I tell them? I don't know if this is the norm or if I happened to visit the FedEx office with the employees with wild hair up there .......!

As of yet, I haven't had time to try another store.

I visited a local print shop in my town and specified in my emails, that the cards are fan made and approved by copyright holders, and had no problems with it. Maybe you should try a different company?

More
10 Jan 2014 07:09 #58453 by Ankha

This from the people trying to get cards accepted into the game by:

- printing them with an email address on them, not a picture, ignoring the fact that that makes them nigh-on impossible to identify cross-table. See the initial playtest of V:TES, for example, where cards were printed with clip-art to avoid this.

I find it much more useful to identify and remember a card by its name rather than by its art. You may recall that many popular cards have multiple artworks and layouts.

I wonder how you manage to read the name of a printed b/w card from the opposite side of the table, when it's upside down, but find difficult to identify a card with its art.

Yes, really. Not everyone has access to a color printer. It seems the VEKN has placed a higher priority on appearances of the cards, rather than trying to gain wider acceptance of them by allowing quality black and white prints. It is an unnecessary impediment.

Not everyone has access to a b/w printer neither. I suppose next step should be allowing people to play tournaments with a scrap of paper with the name of the card on it.

Yes. It was in the tournament report. I was trying to prove a point. I think some cards, in particular Recruitment Exercise and Instantaneous Transformation, are overpowered and don't fix problems with VTES. They only make some problems worse. I made my deck the night before, had never played with those cards previously and nearly won the tournament with them.

I "nearly" won a tournament with Count Zaroff and Shadow Feint in it. Does it mean they are overpowered?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Szewski, Lönkka, D-dennis

More
10 Jan 2014 07:39 #58456 by Lönkka

I ask because I went to print them out and I was told they won't print copyrighted material. I tried to explain but they weren't having it.

Oh man, what a mess!
All good and proper but all effed up as well... :(

What should I tell them?

After the kind explanations I probably wouldä've told them to shove it and taken my business to another printer.

All things considered, I'd asked if they have web access and then directed them to the page here where the prints are found.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
10 Jan 2014 11:28 #58466 by a-e
Replied by a-e on topic Re: Dance Macabre requirements

Still, as you are rules director of this game, you should not agree when you are asked as a player to let others to use b&w prints. According to previous posts, that was asked from all the players present in that tournament.

Imo you can't support the rules only when you're organizer or judge and don't give a damn about them when you are just a player.

Tournament Rules, 2.6: "The head judge is the final judicial authority at any V:EKN-sanctioned tournament (see section 2.5 - Judge Responsibilities)."
+
Tournament Rules, 2.7: "The head judge's decision is final."

Given the fact that a judgement had already been given by the head judge when I was made aware of the situation at the event, my position of Rules Director couldn't interact with the decision given.

Then I got it wrong from Dennis' post, assuming that this was asked from all players before the first round and judgement was made after everyone agreed.

Marko, Prince of Helsinki

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds