file Additional Strikes

25 Nov 2021 14:37 #103992 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Additional Strikes

B declined to play additional strikes after the resolution of the initial strikes.

Rulebook: "Additional strikes are announced and performed only after the first pair of strikes is completed. The acting minion decides whether or not to gain additional strikes before the opposing minion, as usual."

Am I understanding you correctly that the word "only" in the rules sentence:

Additional strikes are announced and performed only after the first pair of strikes is completed.

is what makes it that if a minion declines to play additional strikes after the initial strike resolution no more additional strikes can be announced and performed later after a subsequent strike resolution?

If the above is the reason, that would seem contradictory with that one can announce and perform additional strikes after later strike resolutions of the round beyond the initial one because one didn´t decline to play additional strikes after the initial strike resolution (i.e. that would be announcing and performing additional strikes not only after the initial strike resolution).

Clearly, if one can´t use more than one source at a time and one can´t announce and perform more additional strikes after later strike resolutions of the round beyond the initial one it would make cards like Quickness useless.

The way the rules text is written it comes across as if all additional strikes should be played at one point in time (i.e. after the initial strike resolution) but the rules also say:

A minion cannot use more than one card or effect to gain additional strikes per round of combat.

which for some reason, that isn´t obvious to me, is being used as both the limit of how many additional strikes cards or effects one can use in a round and for the limit of the number of additional strikes providing effects that can be in effect/active at any given moment....this in turn makes the card text´s "..does not count against the limit..." a vague statement as to which of the two limits it refers to...why isn´t it both?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2021 09:05 #104018 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Additional Strikes

B declined to play additional strikes after the resolution of the initial strikes.

Rulebook: "Additional strikes are announced and performed only after the first pair of strikes is completed. The acting minion decides whether or not to gain additional strikes before the opposing minion, as usual."

Am I understanding you correctly that the word "only" in the rules sentence:

Additional strikes are announced and performed only after the first pair of strikes is completed.

is what makes it that if a minion declines to play additional strikes after the initial strike resolution no more additional strikes can be announced and performed later after a subsequent strike resolution?

Indeed.

If the above is the reason, that would seem contradictory with that one can announce and perform additional strikes after later strike resolutions of the round beyond the initial one because one didn´t decline to play additional strikes after the initial strike resolution (i.e. that would be announcing and performing additional strikes not only after the initial strike resolution).

Additional strikes sources can be played only one at a time because you have to announce and resolve additional strikes before proceeding to another source of additional strikes.
This is not described in the rulebook and will be added.

Clearly, if one can´t use more than one source at a time and one can´t announce and perform more additional strikes after later strike resolutions of the round beyond the initial one it would make cards like Quickness useless.

Exactly.

The way the rules text is written it comes across as if all additional strikes should be played at one point in time (i.e. after the initial strike resolution) but the rules also say:

A minion cannot use more than one card or effect to gain additional strikes per round of combat.

which for some reason, that isn´t obvious to me, is being used as both the limit of how many additional strikes cards or effects one can use in a round and for the limit of the number of additional strikes providing effects that can be in effect/active at any given moment...

This is not the case, the latter comes from a ruling not reflected by the rulebook (that is you have to play sources one after the other, after resolving them completely).

.this in turn makes the card text´s "..does not count against the limit..." a vague statement as to which of the two limits it refers to...why isn´t it both?

The limit is "A minion cannot use more than one card or effect to gain additional strikes per round of combat. This rule is reminded on those cards by the “(limited)” card text."

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
30 Nov 2021 09:27 #104050 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Additional Strikes

Additional strikes sources can be played only one at a time because you have to announce and resolve additional strikes before proceeding to another source of additional strikes.
This is not described in the rulebook and will be added.

Please also remove the contradiction that the word "only" causes in the current phrasing.

Rulebook:

Additional Strikes: Some cards and effects allow a minion to make additional strikes during the current round of combat. Additional strikes are announced and performed only after the first pair of strikes is completed. The acting minion decides whether or not to gain additional strikes before the opposing minion, as usual.

More
11 Sep 2022 12:48 - 11 Sep 2022 14:56 #106316 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic Additional Strikes
(post removed by author)

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 11 Sep 2022 14:56 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds