file Shadow Court Satyr ruling reversal?

30 Apr 2022 09:33 #105122 by inm8
Does the below ruling still stand as the card text of Satyr has changed since given? Seems a reversal is in order.

groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/EksUAQcZeS8/m/uZRZ-a29rJcJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2022 20:32 #105130 by kschaefer
It hasn't changed in any way that makes that ruling incorrect.

More
01 May 2022 05:57 - 01 May 2022 06:54 #105131 by inm8
LSJ stated that it was the “during combat” part of the text that implicitly meant Satyr has to be in the combat to use the ability….now card text has changed and no longer has the word “during” in it and nothing in its current wording indicates that it has to be in the combat to be able to use the ability, as long as the combat card on Satyr is allowed to be used when not being the one in combat e.g. Heaven’s Gate should be ok to use the ability.

Card text at the time of the ruling, highlight in bold by me.
(haven´t been able to find a card with this actual wording, I assume it was errata at some point but not printed)

Shadow Court Satyr (Changeling)
Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed.
When Shadow Court Satyr comes into play, you may
put a combat card from your hand on him. Once during
combat
, Satyr may use the ability of that card as if that
card had been played from your hand. If the card has a
cost, he pays its cost in life to use its ability. If the card
requires a Discipline, he may only use the basic ability
of that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If the
ability would give him blood, give him life instead.

No. He has to be in combat. That's the "during combat" part.

Shadow Court Satyr

Heaven's Gate
Last edit: 01 May 2022 06:54 by inm8.

More
01 May 2022 12:13 #105133 by Ankha

Correct. The ruling stands.

See Don Caravelli for an example of ability usable during a combat involving other minions.

Name: Don Caravelli
[KoT:V/A1]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Brujah
Group: 5
Capacity: 8
Discipline: aus dom CEL POT PRE
Camarilla: Once each combat involving another vampire you control, Don Caravelli can burn 1 blood to give that vampire 1 press.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
01 May 2022 14:23 #105135 by inm8

Correct. The ruling stands.

See Don Caravelli for an example of ability usable during a combat involving other minions.

Name: Don Caravelli
[KoT:V/A1]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Brujah
Group: 5
Capacity: 8
Discipline: aus dom CEL POT PRE
Camarilla: Once each combat involving another vampire you control, Don Caravelli can burn 1 blood to give that vampire 1 press.

I don´t understand the point...

Don Caravelli´s ability is limited to being used on another vampire you control and cannot be used in a combat that Don Caravelli is in.

The current wording of Satyr "Once each combat" encompasses all combats which means the ability can be used for any combat as long as the combat card is playable and as it isn´t worded excluding the combat Satyr could be in it would also work for a combat that Satyr is in.

The old wordings "During combat" and "Once during combat" implicitly requires Satyr to be in the combat for the ability to work.

As far as I understand abilities can be used whenever appropriate per the text which to me for Satyr has changed, regardless if the limitation removal was intentional or not.

If I'm wrong in my understanding of the English text of Satyr or if there is another reason then please explain how/why "Once each combat..." means only the combat that Satyr is in.

More
01 May 2022 15:07 #105136 by kschaefer

The current wording of Satyr "Once each combat" encompasses all combats which means the ability can be used for any combat as long as the combat card is playable and as it isn´t worded excluding the combat Satyr could be in it would also work for a combat that Satyr is in.

You cannot do what you cannot do. By default you cannot play combat cards in a combat that you're not involved in. Heaven's Gate provides text to the contrary for vampires.

However, Satyrs can use cards as a vampire `once each combat` still restricts it to combats that the Satyr is involved in, in the same way that Prejudice's special can only be used when he's bleeding. 'Once each X' is by default an X that the minion is involved in. You need explicit text to override.

So even though Heaven's Gate allows you to do what you cannot normally do, Satyr's timing when when it is able to play cards as a vampire still prevents you from using it.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds