file Shadow Court Satyr ruling reversal?

02 May 2022 09:01 #105145 by inm8

Correct.
"In combat", "During combat", "Once each combat"... all imply that the minion is involved in combat.
The Satyr can play the combat card only when he's involved in combat.

Please be explicit about it here so we have a rulings refrence

That's exactly what I did.

Please also clarify involvement....a minion in play is involved in what exactly?

I wrote "involved in combat", so what is unclear?

I want you to be explicit about;
  1. that the ruling applies to all "Once each X" (not just where X is combat)
  2. that involvement in X is required
  3. what and when exactly a minion in play is considered involved for actions, turns, combat, referendums, etc.

To me, this ruling makes little sense by going against the English meaning of the text.
As I have said before I´m not a native English speaker so I could be wrong but no one is explaining what in the text "Once each X" makes it imply involvement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2022 09:10 #105146 by Ankha

Correct.
"In combat", "During combat", "Once each combat"... all imply that the minion is involved in combat.
The Satyr can play the combat card only when he's involved in combat.

Please be explicit about it here so we have a rulings refrence

That's exactly what I did.

Please also clarify involvement....a minion in play is involved in what exactly?

This ruling doesn't logically imply a broader ruling. It doesn't mean that a broader ruling couldn't be made, but we're talking about "once each combat" in this topic.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
02 May 2022 09:28 #105147 by inm8

This ruling doesn't logically imply a broader ruling. It doesn't mean that a broader ruling couldn't be made, but we're talking about "once each combat" in this topic.

Fine, limiting it to "Once each combat"

What is it that makes "Once each combat" imply that the minion is or has to be involved in the combat?

I want to understand why you say it implies involvement because at the moment it seems it is not based on existing rules, previous rulings, or the English meaning of the text.

More
02 May 2022 12:28 - 02 May 2022 12:29 #105150 by Ankha

Fine, limiting it to "Once each combat"

What is it that makes "Once each combat" imply that the minion is or has to be involved in the combat?

I want to understand why you say it implies involvement because at the moment it seems it is not based on existing rules, previous rulings, or the English meaning of the text.

Quick answer: LSJ's ruling is not about "during" but "He has to be in combat."
Also, "during combat" and "once each combat" are equivalent.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 02 May 2022 12:29 by Ankha.

More
02 May 2022 13:11 #105151 by inm8

Quick answer: LSJ's ruling is not about "during" but "He has to be in combat."

You are wrong here. LSJ usually motivates his answer which is what that is

LSJ literally says that it's the "during combat" part...how you interpret that as something different I don´t understand. One can´t ignore the context of the question from the context of the answer?

> Now SCS says "... once during combat, Satyr may use the ability of that
> card ..." but does not say it has to be a combat he is involved in, so
> I can use Heaven's Gate if the SCS is ready, untapped and not involved
> in the combat (requirements of Heaven's Gate) to save a different ally,
> correct?

No. He has to be in combat. That's the "during combat" part.

Also, "during combat" and "once each combat" are equivalent.

Language-wise;
"During combat" (which was the original wording) is equivalent to "Once during combat" (which was the wording ruled on by LSJ) that they imply involvement in the combat.

"Once each combat" does NOT imply involvement and is NOT equivalent to the above two.

If I go to a fight club and it says "Once each combat, you can have a free beer" does that mean I only get the beer if I'm in the fight?

"during" is a very important word in the sentence for its range and meaning which is not being recognized for some odd reason.

If you look through all the cards that use the wording "once each combat" you will notice that they all except for (Satyr and Fatima) have additional text which makes them imply/require involvement in the combat

LSJ´s ruling was 100% correct language-wise as per the text at the time.
This ruling is not correct language-wise and is therefore becoming a definition of that "Once each combat" implies involvement because of your ruling and not the written word and as such should be described in the rules.

Seems that it would be better to errata the text so that it means what you want it to (adding "during") rather than making the text mean something it doesn't.

More
02 May 2022 14:59 - 02 May 2022 15:00 #105152 by Ankha
Read the whole discussion about "during" vs "once each" there: groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/wZIqD6ZA9ms/m/x6wsAZ5wrtEJ

Maybe you'll get a clue about what I mean when I say they are equivalent.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 02 May 2022 15:00 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds