check Stepping down from the Design Team

20 Apr 2012 15:42 #28248 by Amenophobis
Dear V:EKN Inner Circle:

With a certain amount of sadness, we are submitting this jointly written letter. Although our time working on the V:EKN Design Team has been, on the whole, meaningful and productive, for quite a while now we have become less and less satisfied with the situation. The loss of direction of the project, some team members with whom we work, and the new targets and the methods of accomplishing goals make it increasingly difficult for us to feel our contributions are appreciated. This concern has been especially highlighted by recent communications with some members of the Inner Circle. Despite our repeated attempts to establish common ground, it has become clear that there are insurmountable differences between most of the Inner Circle and the remaining Design Team on one side and us on the other.

As a consequence, we are resigning from the V:EKN Design Team, effective immediately. This decision was not taken lightly and we believe this is the best solution for all parties involved.

The rest of the Inner Circle seems to have complete confidence in the Design Team Leader. Therefore, we are removing ourselves and our cards, so that the Design Team Leader has ample opportunity to develop his own creative ideas.

The cards we have designed are not to be used by the V:EKN Design Team. Since the creative content for Round 1 originated from our work (including Jeff Kuta’s), and had no significant contributions from the remaining Design Team members, we insist that the Design Team refrains from further playtest of such cards and from including them in the upcoming set without our explicit permission. This creative content includes all of the cards from Round 1, with one exception, and any other ideas that we initiated and explored.

At this time, the V:EKN does have permission to continue work on the six storyline reward cards. We also want to respect and acknowledge the creative efforts of the volunteer artists, so special consideration may likely be given to the handful of cards with already commissioned artwork.

We are only resigning from the Design Team. Carl intends to continue his responsibilities as Austrian National Coordinator. Eric plans to stay as the Inner Circle Storyline Coordinator, especially to help shepherd the storyline reward cards through the remainder of the process.

We both are committed to continuing to serve the V:TES player base.

Sincerely,

Carl Pilhatsch and Eric Chiang
The following user(s) said Thank You: echiang, dude_PL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2012 15:44 #28249 by echiang
I fully endorse this letter of resignation from the Design Team.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
20 Apr 2012 16:13 #28250 by Brum
Hi,

1. Why post here so publicly? The names and constitution of the Design Team are (rightfully so) considered secret. Shouldn't that continue even after they leave?

2. Why forbid the use of cards you have designed? It only reflects negatively on you. I say this because I have dealt with one of you (Eric) and I have nothing but good things to say about you as a player and a fan of the game.
Therefore I find it odd that you would do something that might be perceived as petty.

3. Each night, before going to bed, should I look to see if there's a Ben Peal under my bed?

I don't want to make light of the situation, but I can see the flame war this will raise. You obviously can too.

Tiago

PS: I hope this time there hasn't been a post on BGG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, KevinM, Reyda

More
20 Apr 2012 16:54 #28251 by D-dennis

Hi,
PS: I hope this time there hasn't been a post on BGG.

I don't get your point.

More
20 Apr 2012 16:59 #28252 by Reyda

2. Why forbid the use of cards you have designed? It only reflects negatively on you. I say this because I have dealt with one of you (Eric) and I have nothing but good things to say about you as a player and a fan of the game.
Therefore I find it odd that you would do something that might be perceived as petty.

that's exactly what sprung to my mind when i read this.
I mean, the job is done, the playtest is going on, there is no money or financial reward at stake... I don't understand :/

3. Each night, before going to bed, should I look to see if there's a Ben Peal under my bed?

I thought every v:tes player already did ... :p

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
20 Apr 2012 17:00 #28253 by Count Orlok
It seems that there is some serious dysfunction in the upper stratum of the EKN. I really hope with the rate at which they are alienating design team members, there is a serious reappraisal of the situation.

Instead of attacking the posters for their choice of speaking platform, can we at least try to engage the issues raised?

:same: :FOR: :NEC: :THN: :pre: Baron of Berkeley :bl: :cap8:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds