check Stepping down from the Design Team

24 Apr 2012 17:18 - 24 Apr 2012 17:25 #28603 by Surreal

I find this list to be within acceptable power levels, with the exception of Cavalier. I appreciate that you included it in you list of examples.
Cavalier is exactly the kind of card I am concerned about. To date there are 4 TWD's with one copy of it. I do not think that giving multi-act to any(?) clan to be a small thing. If it was not a HttB rare, I feel we would see more decks with more copies of it in the TWDA. It was printed as a rare for a reason.

I believe part of the fun of a CCG is making trades that are sometimes hard.
I cannot say that I am in favor of printing more cards, but if they are to be printed.
1) I do not want them to make old decks(my collection) obsolete.
2) I feel the first set should be conservative.
There is time yet, before stagnation sets in.

I don't get why rares should be more powerful. Never understood that mentality from players. Play should be equal and the guy who spends 250$ for a deck in ebay should not have upper hand. Companies I of course understand because it is good for making money and buying new packs. Vtes had the mentality that you don't need so many rares in your deck. There were exceptions but generally it was managed ok.

I also think CCG business model doesn't belong anymore to this century. I like FFGs LCG model, I can just buy cards I need instantly. I know many players who doesn't like CCG because of the first C of the name. For me number one reason I don't play Vtes so much anymore is all the effort. I might have time to plan more decks but then I would have to hunt all cards I need also. Way too much time consuming for me. CCGs are like money and time "investment". You have to spend so much time to get cards so you don't want give up the game after you did all the effort. I will not give up the game but I just see the whole game needing so much time and effort so I play surprising rare.

EDIT I was just surprised because you picked Cavalier. So I guess rarity had to do something about it. I find other cards in the list more powerful and more metagame changing.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2012 17:25 by Surreal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 17:39 #28604 by johannes

We are aiming for usable but not game breaking. Power level along the lines of Enhanced Senses, Sense the Savage Way, Public Trust, Cavalier, Torn Signpost.

I find this list to be within acceptable power levels, with the exception of Cavalier. I appreciate that you included it in you list of examples. I
Cavalier is exactly the kind of card I am concerned about. To date there are 4 TWD's with one copy of it. I do not think that giving multi-act to any(?) clan to be a small thing. If it was not a HttB rare, I feel we would see more decks with more copies of it in the TWDA. It was printed as a rare for a reason.

I believe part of the fun of a CCG is making trades that are sometimes hard.
I cannot say that I am in favor of printing more cards, but if they are to be printed.
1) I do not want them to make old decks(my collection) obsolete.
2) I feel the first set should be conservative.
There is time yet, before stagnation sets in.

I know a couple of people owning 4-5 copies of it. Still they rarely play it. Master slots are valuable and the requirement for blood cost action and successfull is a problem and you need to play it early or it is mostly a dead card. I think you are overestimating the power of Cavalier.

More
24 Apr 2012 17:39 - 24 Apr 2012 17:40 #28605 by jamesatzephyr

This is totally bogus card design.

V:TES absolutely, positively knew when it was created that rarity simply cannot balance a card. Magic had shown that players would buy thousands upon thousands of cards if they liked the game enough, when Garfield's initial design for it assumed people would probably pick up maybe a few hundred cards - and that a complete set would either not happen or be very rare.

As a result, V:TES has pretty much never used rarity as a balancing factor. Many of the more niche cards tend towards rare/uncommon (or vampire, in sets that support that rarity), and staple cards towards common. Certainly, mistakes have been made, and I'm sure that some choices have been made with an eye towards, you know, making a profit and all that. But many massively powerful cards are common - Govern the Unaligned is still, pound for pound, pretty much one of the most powerful cards in the game and has been in something like 9 different sets, both as a normal card and as a fixed card in pre-cons. Super easy to get.

If a card is too powerful, the correct response is not to make it rare because *someone* will collect them all on Ebay and then fuck up a Continental Championship with it. (Or, if you prefer, Jyhad Online.) The correct response is to make the card a more balanced card.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2012 17:40 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forhead, Brum, Lönkka

More
24 Apr 2012 21:03 #28616 by Wedge
I agree with you James about niche cards tend to be rare. Most of them you would only have 1-3 in the deck.

Cavalier is arguably the best Archetype in the game. I do not understand how you all think a permanent inferior freak drive is not great. Sure you have to craft the deck with it in mind, unlike Perfectionist. If there was action modifier that gave you a blood after a successful action does anyone think it would see more play than Freak Drive.

More
24 Apr 2012 22:45 #28620 by Suoli

Cavalier is arguably the best Archetype in the game. I do not understand how you all think a permanent inferior freak drive is not great. Sure you have to craft the deck with it in mind, unlike Perfectionist. If there was action modifier that gave you a blood after a successful action does anyone think it would see more play than Freak Drive.

Cavalier is good in a DOM/PRE vote deck but that's about it. Perfectionist is good in a deck with vampires.

More
24 Apr 2012 23:02 #28622 by Wedge
Cybel
Guarded Rubrics

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds