check Stepping down from the Design Team

24 Apr 2012 23:11 #28623 by Suoli
Hate to drag out the old TWDA argument but Cavalier appears 3 times in 3 different decks. I don't buy that that's due to rarity when other rares with more restrictions from the same set get more playtime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 23:26 #28624 by david.tatu
I have been running it in a Madness Network deck with GtU to bleed every time around the table. But once I put in the blood gain and the intercept to keep the MN in play, it just does not flow right.

David Tatu
V:EKN Scribe

More
24 Apr 2012 23:28 #28625 by Wedge
Earlier I made a mistake, it came from HttB. Aside from the Baahli rares, I do not see many of those rares played.

possible exceptions..
Summon History
Raw Recruit
Command Performance
The Rising

More
24 Apr 2012 23:42 #28627 by Wedge

I have been running it in a Madness Network deck with GtU to bleed every time around the table. But once I put in the blood gain and the intercept to keep the MN in play, it just does not flow right.

I assume you are using.

The Rack
Obedience
Anima Gathering
Bowl of Conv.
Phased Motion Detector
5th tradition

More
25 Apr 2012 05:03 - 25 Apr 2012 05:10 #28634 by jamesatzephyr

Cavalier is arguably the best Archetype in the game. I do not understand how you all think a permanent inferior freak drive is not great.

That's because you're changing your argument. No-one is saying it is not potentially very cool, or useful to a variety of decks. It's not a total no-brainer - it competes for master card space; some decks already have good untap potential; not every deck is necessarily succeeding at enough actions (bruise-and-X decks that get blocked a lot? not the strongest archetype, but certainly played); and not every deck that would like more untap has masses of spare blood and/or is using actions that cost blood.

But it's totally not a bad card. It's up there with Perfectionist, sure, which is also arguably a top tier archetype.

It was not made rare in order to prevent lots of players getting access to lots of copies because the game would break if that happened. If the card was very overpowered or broken, that can't be addressed by rarity.

Personally, were there the option to in the relevant sets, I'd have made most of the (playable) archetypes uncommon. (And not printed the rubbish ones, obviously.) Or possibly vampire rarity - which works out to much the same thing, roughly. The earlier ones are probably too common. But when you basically only have common or rare to pick from, then these things happen.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 05:10 by jamesatzephyr.

More
25 Apr 2012 07:45 - 25 Apr 2012 07:45 #28651 by Boris The Blade
Cavalier looks broken until you try to actually play it. Then you realise the problem: how do I spend 2+ blood per turn when I don't have Perfectionist to refill?
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 07:45 by Boris The Blade.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds