lightbulb Library card redesign

31 Jul 2016 16:54 - 31 Jul 2016 16:55 #77674 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign
so, here's a few offerings for an Ally

[super clean]

[transparent texture]

[stupid icons; white text box]

[stupid icons; textured text box]

now, before i get any butthurt from the icons, I realized I didn't like them about a third of the way through putting them on the card. like... really really didn't like them. I had already put an hour of work into generating them, and sheer stubbornness prevailed. At the very least, we get to see what an awful idea it was.

The bar texture was taken from the current Ally card, and I tried to make it a little more muted.

The text box texture is over white at 18% opacity, and with an embossed effect. I tend to prefer the transparent texture in the text box as it creates a greater continuity and reinforces the cardtype. Using a texture in the text box can be a subtle reminder of cardtype in multi-type cards, which can become even more important if we are jettisoning the idea of Cardtype Icons from the game.

also, a very, very, very specific gripe: Can someone on the design team explain why Staatet-ta has (Bane Mummy) appended into its title? it looks double plus ungood.

i'm going to try my hand at something a little trickier next
Last edit: 31 Jul 2016 16:55 by self biased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2016 17:36 #77675 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

Idea, which bothers me for a some time, cost for action cards and other cards.

Timing of cost (when played / when action resolves) must be somehow represented.

care to give me a detailed walk-through as to your logic, and why this is a pressing design need?

We always encounter with the new players situation, when he tries to pay costs of actions asap, or is not paying cost for modifiers waiting for something.

It's confusing, that this cost looks totally similar on the cards.

And generally Actions and Action Mods are hard to distinguish for a new player.

Very true, but newbies are newbies and have a ton of stuff to learn.

But saying "Pay the cost only if action succeeds" and "Pay the cost when playing the modifier" in every fricking card seems more than redundant.

FTFR -Read the friendly rules (also when teaching the game, underline how these different cards work payment -vise)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
31 Jul 2016 17:39 #77676 by Lönkka

The biggest thing thing that's hemmed up new players that i've seen is during stealth/intercept exchanges, they very often see +1 Stealth on an action card, and want to use that +1 Stealth.

This. SO MUCH this.
Like three quarters o more of the people I've demoed the game during the years have made this mistake.

Perhaps a change in how included stealth is expressed on actions? wouldn't it be clearer if instead of[/i] +1 Stealth Action. on a card it was just 1 Stealth Action. and the + was removed?

Dunno. Perhaps.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
31 Jul 2016 17:47 #77677 by Lönkka

so, here's a few offerings for an Ally

I was previously in the transparent texture camp, but comparing those two side by side here I got to say that the super clean is actually clearly superior. (But both look extremely nice; one is just way better and clearer.)

And yes, those new symbols are way ugly! :(

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
31 Jul 2016 18:22 #77679 by self biased

But saying "Pay the cost only if action succeeds" and "Pay the cost when playing the modifier" in every fricking card seems more than redundant.

FTFR -Read the friendly rules (also when teaching the game, underline how these different cards work payment -vise)

oh Snips, a billionty times this.

More
31 Jul 2016 18:38 #77680 by self biased
*sharp intake of breath*

okay. So, I've tackled Quicksilver Contemplation, and have six iterations to show. There are a few unfixed errors in some versions that I'm aware of: stuff like the spacing of text boxes, some of the text isn't perfectly justified, and a few others. you'll see them, the inconsistency is pretty noticeable. Textures are once again pulled from the current ones we already have.

[one]

[two]

[three]

[four]

[five]

[six]

I've tried to incorporate most of the ideas brought up, and frankly, if there's a way to make this card look anything other than a cluttered mess, I'm apparently not up to the task. For what it's worth, I think that JUST the icons probably works best, but that's probably my pro-icon bias talking.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds