lightbulb Crypt card redesign

20 Sep 2016 16:27 #78445 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign

That probably depends a lot on how Ke has created the "L" frame of the clan background. If it's flush with the text box, it might work. If the text box overlaps the horizontal portion of the border, it'll look awkward.

ill take a look at the raw files when I get home. The dropbox was updating last night. Which would you prefer under the text box? The clan texture or the vampire art? I think a diagonal fade might work, but we'll have to test it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 18:42 #78447 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Crypt card redesign

The second major change is extending the clan frame along the bottom of the card. This addresses any generated artwork oddities and also helps re-enforce the clan colour and texture.

Cards look even better than in previous iterations with this change!

BTW Jessica's title (Sabbat bishop) looks odd -as if it wasn't bold.
Ubende (Laibon magaji) is even worse.
A-ha! Not bolding when only bold is visible looks sloppy and is highly illogical.

Also bolding the +1 Bleed etc is the Way to Go TM, IMO.

The standard size text box looks... redundant and empty. In text heavy cards there basically is no difference, but cards with very little text look like crow. Look at Brigette Mandisa, for example.

The color of text box was discussed already some time ago and I think the general consensus was more or less that pure white works best. (I was originally opposed to it but it grew on me. Strongly)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
20 Sep 2016 21:54 - 20 Sep 2016 21:55 #78453 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

Ke, can you set the opacity of the white box to 80-85%? That might help soften things.

It's not really possible due to how the frame leverages the white box. Also it would reveal generated artwork which seemed to upset The Design Team, The Rules Team and The Art Team.

This is also a non-issue. It only seems stark because your looking at them on screen as these are designed for print. I've just returned from the print shop with super high quality prints — they look FUCKING great.

Slicing them up now; will post some pics soonish.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 21:55 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho

More
20 Sep 2016 22:11 #78454 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign
For what it's worth, I took your proxies to Temple-con, and the player response was mostly favorable. Ben saw them too.

More
21 Sep 2016 00:27 - 22 Sep 2016 02:12 #78455 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign
Here are the photos:

And some direct comparisons:

These are live on amaranth.vtes.co.nz .
Last edit: 22 Sep 2016 02:12 by Ke.. Reason: now live!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
21 Sep 2016 06:48 - 21 Sep 2016 06:50 #78461 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign
I've played with them recently, and I have a few comments:

First, they don't mix at all with the old sets. They are too different. (I'm stating the obvious)

Secondly, the layout dedicated to the identification of the card has been reduced to the minimum, which appears to me not being enough. It may sound paradoxal since we want to gain space, but the cards are lacking visual clues that help recognize the type of card. A simple color/texture variation in the left bar is not enough.

Lastly, they look too plain, too vanilla. There's nothing in the layout that reminds me of the WoD. Crypt cards had the oval (reminding a portrait) and more texture, library cards had a marble stripe that gave unity and reminded the tomb of the WoD's covers.
In this design, the only strong identity is a texture that could refer to any game. The texture are not to blame, but there's something missing that would put those textures into the context of the WoD.

I'd like to see something like volutes, or maybe a marble texture on the bottom of the card (below the text box), something that identifies the game as vampire, something more than a plain rectangle stripe.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 06:50 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds