lightbulb Crypt card redesign

20 Sep 2016 09:14 #78415 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

That's exactly because they're unfinished. ;) They don't have the proper leading, spacing, kerning, font sizing, etc.

Even with the vertical alignment they look unfinished (updated — see Homa, Ubende, Brigitte after a refresh).

Quick note: your generator isn't bolding the Laibon sect and Magaji title.

Yes, this is deliberate. It doesn't bold text when everything is bold — bold is that scenario is pointless.

Another note: How about toning down the text box by making it a shade of grey? The white seems kinda loud.

Disagree here; when it comes to print readability is key — more so when home printers are involved.

Yes, Vincent and I touched on things; however in terms of library cards I don't believe his solution has the capabilities required for the newer layouts. Admittedly that's only going on what I've seen so far. This approach can and does adjust font size, kerning and leading etc also.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 09:21 #78416 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

Okay. So one of the things that's happening is that we're pretty rapidly running out of real estate on the card. As Ben and Ke have pointed out having two boxes means we really should be putting shit in both. Having two boxes on a crypt card creates a bunch of dead space, too (see Ben's posts to that effect). Someone suggested using Icons to denote sect. this can be done, but Ke does have a point that sect gives us something to put in that text box when a vampire has nothing else going on.

I designed some sect icons for Independents and Laibon to go with the Sabbat and Camarilla Ankhs. the problem that comes up is that an Ankh is basically rectangular, where as the overwhelming majority of Clan Icons are basically square (stares intently at the Assamite :assa: Icon). This can be a problem because using Ankhs for sect icons is pretty natural, but the dimensions will make the sect icons naturally bigger than Clan Icons when justified to width. not to mention where to put the Disciplines, because they sure as fuck all can't go in that bar if they're getting crammed in there with a clan icon, sect icon, advanced icon... &c.

So this is what such a thing could look like:

honestly, it's not my favorite. it just feels unhygienic. Also, I had more, but i super done fucked up and ultimately ragequit. because I accidentally closed a window and didn't save. Needless to say, it was slightly more traditional than what I did manage to save.

Hey, thank you very much for giving it a try ! :)

Though this look weird, I think this is worth more in depth studies.

Here a few recommendations/questions :
- I think that the Advance icon should be after the vampire's name. Like that it's easier for everyone to get that this icon has to do with the vampire identity.

- why did you reverse disciplines and clan/sect icon ? It's true that aligned like that, it allows the game designer to easily create vampire with more than 6 Disciplines. That said, I think that it's the source of most of the "discomfort feeling" this card provide.
What you said about the ankh being rectangular is right. But maybe a good way to deal with would be if the bottom of those icon were watermarked behind the text-box. We would still have the upper part to identify them clearly.
Personally I would place the sect icon where you put the group. Like that, it will be even more clear when vampire have short cardtext.

More
20 Sep 2016 09:27 - 20 Sep 2016 09:29 #78417 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

The advanced symbol could be move after the vampire name.

Great idea, love it:

Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 09:29 by Ke..

More
20 Sep 2016 09:41 #78418 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

The advanced symbol could be move after the vampire name.

Great idea, love it:

I'll... start to be jealous ! :angry:

Nevertheless, the finish is very cool ! :)

Besides I really like the way you evolve the "black box". Could you show us how it would be if every traits were written after the clan name ? Especially for those vampires .

More
20 Sep 2016 09:41 - 20 Sep 2016 10:13 #78419 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Crypt card redesign
Idea, non relevant to the previous discussion, but also about crypt redesign.

To use something like this for advanced disciplines on vampires:

to make ability to use both basic and advanced discipline effect on cards more intuitive.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 10:13 by elotar.

More
20 Sep 2016 09:43 #78420 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

Yes, Vincent and I touched on things; however in terms of library cards I don't believe his solution has the capabilities required for the newer layouts. Admittedly that's only going on what I've seen so far. This approach can and does adjust font size, kerning and leading etc also.

It should support them just fine.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds