lightbulb Crypt card redesign

19 Sep 2016 18:07 #78396 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

Using a watermark (or any representation of the clan underneath some text) is a bad idea, as it makes it really difficult to spot.

What makes you say that ? (They seems pretty visible on Android Netrunner.)

Besides, the main purpose of the watermark is to fill the textbox when there is no text along with keeping the clan icon somewhere on the crypt card.
The fact that some of them might be hard to spot is no big deal.

oh OK, as long as they don't replace the clan identifying symbol

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2016 18:36 #78397 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
Well the goal is to get rid of the icon on the sidebar in order to gain space. :whistle:

More
19 Sep 2016 19:52 - 19 Sep 2016 20:02 #78398 by alek
Replied by alek on topic Crypt card redesign
Leave the clan symbol where it is. Drop the second text box. Don't put clan names on crypt cards. Clan symbol is enough.

It took me better part of the year to remember different clan symbols when I started out, and I might still mistake a Kiasyd symbol for a Harbinger of skulls for example, or not remember the exotic discipline symbols.

The good thing about symbols is that you don't need to know the names of clans and/or disciplines. You just compare if the symbol on library card (required clan or discipline) matches the symbol on crypt card. If the card requires the vampire with "black square" discipline and you have one, you can play the card. You don't need to know that this is obfuscate discipline.
So it's very important that those symbols are clearly visible.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 20:02 by alek.

More
19 Sep 2016 21:08 - 19 Sep 2016 21:08 #78400 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
The good thing about name is that you don't need to know the symbols of clans. You just compare if the name on library card matches the name on crypt card. If the card requires the vampire with "Gangrel" and you have one, you can play the card. You don't need to know that the wolf-head is their symbols.
So it's very important that those names are clearly visible.

;)

That said, I can understand that player wants to keep the clan symbol as the first way to identify their vampires. In that case there is this option :

File Attachment:

(Inspired by AGOT LCG layout.)

However, what I don't like about this solution is that it creates 2 types of traits. Those depicted by icon and those written fully. :dry:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 21:08 by 666Raziel.

More
20 Sep 2016 00:53 - 20 Sep 2016 02:56 #78401 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign
Wow. Things are busy here — great to see so much input.

I've taken a step back from the thread and just let things brew, while also thinking about and implementing solutions to peoples complaints. The end results have been productive:

Probably the most important change is that the clan name and group no longer eats into card text real estate. The size and prominence has also greatly been reduced to reflect that this is secondary information (mainly useful for new players). With current artwork the clan name (and group) only cover areas that artists were expecting to be cropped by the previous oval frame. This means no elements considered important by the artist should be covered.

The second major change is extending the clan frame along the bottom of the card. This addresses any generated artwork oddities and also helps re-enforce the clan colour and texture.

Finally all of the card text uses the latest text and remains unchanged. When the vampire has a special ability and an effect like +bleed etc the effect is bold. This addresses players concerns about being easily able to identify certain effects and also keeps the rules team / designers happy as their card text is untouched.

I haven't yet pushed these out to amaranth.vtes.co.nz — that will occur at the same time as the library card update. Will post more pics below.

Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 02:56 by Ke.. Reason: images
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, brettscho

More
20 Sep 2016 00:59 #78402 by Ke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds