file Pentex Subversion poll and discussion

Poll: Would VTES be helped or worsened by a change to the card text and/or cost of Pentex Subversion? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
06 Jan 2012 18:35 - 06 Jan 2012 18:41 #20167 by Pagan

Giving +1 stealth to remove it won't change anything. Wall deck will still defend it, aggressive decks will still oust you the turn its played.

So a wall deck protecting one of its resources is a bad thing for the game?

If an agressive deck ousts you because one minion is locked up then you took that risk when you made the deck, and likely won other games because your one minion blocked every action in the game even remotely threatening.(I'm looking at you Cesewayo.)

And giving the action +1 stealth would make a significant number of removal attempts succeed that don't because of Jake or other random, non +intercepting, minions block. It doesn't change the initial impact but not every play of a Pentex results in an oust or everyone would play 15 of them.

Instead of changing Pentex what if a new master was added.

I Hate Pentex
Type: Master
Cost: 2 pool
Master: trifle.
Burn a card you control or one played on a minion you control. A Methuselah may only play one I Hate Pentex each game.

Sudden stops an ousting turn lunge and this would stop a scenario where your game is locked up because your one minion is stuck and you didn't have a Sudden in hand when it was played. It also has other uses and likely needs to be once/game to stop some Bauble/Serpentis shennanigans from happening much easier than they already do.

Removing Pentex from the game is nothing but bad for it as we should remove all cards that result in players being ousted then and spend 2 hours discarding Eyes of the Dead every turn as we all get .5VPs.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2012 18:41 by Pagan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2012 20:12 #20179 by Haze
enough with the retarded ad hominem arguments about deck building skills, go over to this forum if you want that.

the point about bigcaps/superstars is a valid one. if your vampires are expensive, then you get harmed by Pentex a lot more than a midcap deck, and a weenie deck really doesn't care about losing 1 minion. this means that bigcap decks are weaker than weenie decks, especially due to how often Pentex appears in tournaments! (hint: it's very very common)

you have to back away from the issue, this isn't a matter of "how do I win a tournament" but "how do we balance VTES"

I still believe that the "no acting" clause of Pentex is the real problem, while shutting down a blocker is fine. losing a strong blocker sucks, but the same result is possible by Seduction or Block Fails, so it's still fair. On the other hand, losing a good portion of your acting power on your own turn completely ruins the game for bigcap decks, and they have fewer actions to begin with! from what's pretty much an unblockable Sensory Deprivation. and then they get fewer actions to attempt to remove Pentex as well. it's completely stacked against them, yet barely even irritates a weenie deck. the weenie decks still have a huge advantage here.

Minion Tap needed to be un-nerfed to allow players to even build bigcap decks. now Pentex needs to be nerfed to give them a competitive chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mephistopheles

More
06 Jan 2012 20:36 #20181 by Bell
For some reason people seem to not bring up the fact that anyone at a table can burn Pentex as well, not just the player who had their minion Pentex'd. Conservatively I'd say I see Pentex burned by a cross-table ally at least half the time. Only the most staunch wall deck can defend the card from several players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, echiang

More
06 Jan 2012 20:36 #20182 by Mephistopheles

Giving +1 stealth to remove it won't change anything. Wall deck will still defend it, aggressive decks will still oust you the turn its played.

So a wall deck protecting one of its resources is a bad thing for the game?

Removing Pentex from the game is nothing but bad for it as we should remove all cards that result in players being ousted then and spend 2 hours discarding Eyes of the Dead every turn as we all get .5VPs.

I think the +1 stealth option doesn't give that much to it that it's worth retexting the card. Errata is always bad, even if it has to be done. People don't like if a card does something else than written on it.

I'd rather have something like: "can not be played if the target vampires controler has no other vampire in his ready region". Most big cap decks won't give a damn since they have either tons of stealth, block denial, Grandballs or unblockable stuff to get rid of it if they have a second vampire to do it.

Please note that I never suggested to ban Pentex. I just wouldn't drop a single tear.

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com

More
06 Jan 2012 22:21 - 06 Jan 2012 22:21 #20192 by Ankha

Why aren't you (Mephistopheles) aware that playing a super-star deck is dangerous? You say "there is a problem with the card". I think it's more "I have a problem with the card".
Well, of course, you know it, and since you like to play super-star decks, you'd like any threat on this kind of deck to be removed. I don't think it's a good reason.

Sad to see this same old ad hominem again :/ It detracts from the actual meat of your argument, to which I respond that super-star decks should have a weakness but Pentex in it's current form is a terrible implementation. The pro-active super-star decks have enough weaknesses as it is.

It has nothing to do with ad nominem attack, I was quoting two persons (Mephistopheles and Ohlmann) and I just had to distinguish both (check the post). I don't even know Mephistopheles (under that name at least).

I find that his argument was weak, and he gave later a sensible response, even if I don't agree at all with it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 06 Jan 2012 22:21 by Ankha.

More
06 Jan 2012 22:23 #20193 by AaronC

For some reason people seem to not bring up the fact that anyone at a table can burn Pentex as well, not just the player who had their minion Pentex'd. Conservatively I'd say I see Pentex burned by a cross-table ally at least half the time. Only the most staunch wall deck can defend the card from several players.

Around here Pentex is rarely burned cross-table because people don't have those kinds of actions to spare, or the vampire that's Pentexed is so scary they prefer the situation as is. Believe me when my assault-gun wielding Assamite got Pentexed twice in a game, no one offered to remove Pentex.

The minion who's Pentexed should at least have the right to try to remove it himself, so the Methuselah who played it has to deal with that vampire's stealth or combat. If a Big Brother corporation has closed my accounts, shut down my phone, and placed goons outside my haven, I should have a chance to get out myself, either by sneaking or fighting the goons. I imagine removing Pentex to be similar to the plot of the Sandra Bullock movie The Net.

From a source material perspective, I can see how the Pentex Corporation could paralyze the minion so much he can neither continue with his normal activities nor help protect his master, but I don't see how it could completely take away his ability to act.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds