file Pentex Subversion poll and discussion

Poll: Would VTES be helped or worsened by a change to the card text and/or cost of Pentex Subversion? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
06 Jan 2012 22:25 #20195 by Ankha

this means that bigcap decks are weaker than weenie decks, especially due to how often Pentex appears in tournaments! (hint: it's very very common)

Neonate Breach is devastating against weenie decks. Ancient Influence is bad for weenies and great for fatties. Aranthebes reduces the weenie bleed to nothing.
So I won't say that bigcap decks are weaker than weenie decks. They both have their advantages and flaws.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2012 22:43 #20197 by Suoli

Why aren't you (Mephistopheles) aware that playing a super-star deck is dangerous? You say "there is a problem with the card". I think it's more "I have a problem with the card".
Well, of course, you know it, and since you like to play super-star decks, you'd like any threat on this kind of deck to be removed. I don't think it's a good reason.

Sad to see this same old ad hominem again :/ It detracts from the actual meat of your argument, to which I respond that super-star decks should have a weakness but Pentex in it's current form is a terrible implementation. The pro-active super-star decks have enough weaknesses as it is.

It has nothing to do with ad nominem attack, I was quoting two persons (Mephistopheles and Ohlmann) and I just had to distinguish both (check the post). I don't even know Mephistopheles (under that name at least).

I find that his argument was weak, and he gave later a sensible response, even if I don't agree at all with it.

To clarify my comment: your perception about the motivation behind Mephistopheles' or anyone elses arguments is not relevant to a discussion about Pentex. I don't find it insulting or anything like that but it is purely speculative and, even if accurate, doesn't address any actual argument. That's all.

More
06 Jan 2012 22:52 #20198 by Jeff Kuta
I love making superstar vampire decks. There are many of them with cool special abilities that inspire creative deck design.

The biggest obstacle to superstar deck design is Pentex Subversion.

The mere existence of this card stunts the growth of VTES as a game. It's not quite as bad as Protect Thine Own, but in most cases when it is played, it has a devastating effect on the game outcome.

I fully support banning it.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mephistopheles, Amenophobis, dude_PL, Lech

More
06 Jan 2012 23:50 #20199 by Ohlmann
And then again, the real question is not "is pentex bad for the game ?" but "do people want to see superstar deck more powerful".

I'm not too thrilled by thoses deck, and in fact the Eze deck (maybe not the one used by mephistoles since I don't know him, but the archetype that equip 10+ equipment on their Eze to make him unstoppable) is more toxic to the game than good, especially if we remove its main problem.

Then again, you can want to build a deck entirely centered on a vampire. I'm just between septic and hostil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louhi

More
07 Jan 2012 00:15 #20202 by Jeff Kuta
The only superstar deck that is problematic is Una.

Tupdogs are almost like superstar decks as well, even moreso since there are multiple actors possible on most turns.

There are numerous "block fails" cards that can take down superstar block decks, not to mention Sensory Deprivation and other such cards.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinM

More
07 Jan 2012 08:33 - 07 Jan 2012 08:42 #20234 by Joscha
I think it's a very strong card. I'd suggest you do it like Mephistopheles and defend against it with Suddens/Washes and your own copy of PS. That should suffice.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 07 Jan 2012 08:42 by Joscha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds