file Pentex Subversion poll and discussion

Poll: Would VTES be helped or worsened by a change to the card text and/or cost of Pentex Subversion? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
06 Jan 2012 04:42 #20060 by Xaddam
Without Pentex gaining VPs would be harder. It's already hard as it is, removing (or decreasing the power of) pentex would make dominate a better strategy and non-dominate a worse strategy. It's a shame that's it's an auto-include, since it makes deck-building dull. But the card is good for the game.

Just stop trying to make a 10-cap block deck work. It would be a useless high risk-low yield strategy even without pentex in the game.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2012 05:33 #20063 by AaronC
I agree that there is a place for Pentex-like card in the game, but as written it is just too powerful. The last two times I got it played on me was by a wallish prey. It can easily take three actions just to get the damned thing off when you have so much better to do. If it can't be changed (since errats would apparently end the world as we know it), it should be banned.

I can think of two games in which it saved the ass of my super-star because I got to contest it. Did I really want to put Pentex in those decks? No - but I couldn't afford to lose my star minion. Pentex just gets so old, so fast.

Above all, the minion who is the target of Pentex should at least be able to attempt to remove it as their sole available action.

More
06 Jan 2012 09:53 #20083 by Ankha

Pentex Subversion is an auto-include in EVERY DECK

What is your source?
I checked the 2011-TWD, 146 decks out of 265 (55%) do include a Pentex Subversion. Which is a lot, but far from being every deck.

Otherwise, I'm happy to play Pentex when I know I have no other way of handling a No Secret From the Magaji that would otherwise lock me, thus denying me all pleasure in the game.

Changing Pentex is likely to make wall deck and star deck too strong.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
06 Jan 2012 10:19 - 06 Jan 2012 10:20 #20085 by extrala
Pentex Subversion like Anarch Troublemaker or Misdirection makes the game move forward in certain situations, thus allowing players to make VPs. Which is a good thing, of course.

Making the card unplayable by increasing the cost too much (for example) (or banning (which was not the topic of the thread)) is not a thing that would help the game imho. But I wouldn't object changing the cardtext to once per game per player clause or some such thing.

Hmm, on second thought, I could just "thanked" Izaak's post! ;)
Last edit: 06 Jan 2012 10:20 by extrala.

More
06 Jan 2012 10:33 #20087 by Ohlmann

Changing Pentex is likely to make wall deck and star deck too strong.

It sum it up pretty well. Yes, if you run a star deck you fear Pentex. That's too bad to have a weakness.

As a fringe nerf, a card that allow costly removal of pentex may be useful, but not needed per se (to avoid decks playing pentex just for contest).

More
06 Jan 2012 10:48 #20089 by Pagan
Only change I'd like to see is make the action to remove it at +1 stealth.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds