file On Parity Shift 6. "problematic card".

30 Nov 2011 14:50 #16562 by bakija

Now, sum up the titled Camarilla vampires in the above deck groups. Would the incidence of titled Camarilla vampires be greater, smaller or the same if vote decks would play a more equal distribution of titled vampires?

Well, all I have to go on is theory and experience. Thinking of the last 10 person tournament, there were:

3x Vote decks with titled Camarilla vampires
3x Decks with Magaji (non vote)
1x Deck with titled Sabbat and Camarilla vampires (non vote)
3x Decks with no titled vampires at all

Seems about a wash, in terms of running into decks that have titled vampires of given sects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2011 17:12 #16575 by Suoli

Well, all I have to go on is theory and experience. Thinking of the last 10 person tournament, there were:

3x Vote decks with titled Camarilla vampires
3x Decks with Magaji (non vote)
1x Deck with titled Sabbat and Camarilla vampires (non vote)
3x Decks with no titled vampires at all

Seems about a wash, in terms of running into decks that have titled vampires of given sects.

That really isn't anywhere close to a useful sample size. Then again, this might not be the best thread for a lesson in statistical analysis and I'm definitely not the best teacher.

More
30 Nov 2011 21:08 #16595 by bakija

That really isn't anywhere close to a useful sample size. Then again, this might not be the best thread for a lesson in statistical analysis and I'm definitely not the best teacher.

Certainly true. Looking at the TWDA (which certainly doesn't represent all decks, but is at least a large list of decks in a mostly random order), in the first 105 decks (I was trying to count the first 100, but accidentally counted to 105 instead...) there are:

67 decks that have no significant number of titled vampires.
24 decks that have a significant number of Camarilla titled vampires.
14 decks that have a significant number of non Camarilla titled vampires.

So using that as a sample, yeah, there are more Camarilla titled vampires showing up (in said sample) than non Camarilla titled vampires. But not quite twice as many. Fair enough.

More
02 Dec 2011 21:41 #16867 by Haze
I'm CON on this card

Everyone knows it's ridiculously good. And while it may not quite be on the level of "RtI broken" I think it still warps the entire political aspect of the VTES too much to be healthy for the game.

Some may compare it to dominate cards, but I don't think that's entirely fair. It's crazy how strong dominate is, but it's not because of any one card in particular. Govern comes the closest, bleed for 3 or gain 3 pool, but even then you have to choose which you want. Parity Shift gives you both pool damage and pool gain at the same time. It's also true you could get bled by one vampire for 6+, but that requires multiple cards to be played (not to mention the blood costs). Parity Shift... usually just one card. VTES should be about the card combinations, and not playing one single power card to handle everything. In this case, both offense and defense.
Dominate may be too strong but it's still playing within the intent of the game. Rather, the reason Dominate is overpowered is not because of individual cards, but because it got almost ALL the good cards in one discipline, and usually the best version of each to boot.

Some have said that you don't always have vote lock so you have to give pool away for votes. I don't think that's really much of a flaw. More like, it has bribery already built-in, so it has a better chance of passing! I've often seen people support the vote for only 1 or 2 pool, though I imagine others have different experiences. Even with the pool given away for votes, it's still doing a huge amount of pool damage, so it's seen as a fair deal for the player calling it.

the Prince/Justicar requirement isn't that much of a hoop to jump through. Everyone knows you can build a crypt of 12 prince cards. But for evidence, I'd like to point out that of all the crypt cards, you can find 7 princes for 6 cap or less. That's not including Victor Pelletier, who's a wildcard (and helps you lose pool to play parity shift, dang). For similarly powered titles below 7 cap in other sects, there is only 1 archbishop, 1 priscus, no independents, and 2 magaji. For having such a strong vote card, they also have the best crypt selection! This isn't even considering how easy it is to turn any 1-cap weenie into a clan Justicar, with extra votes thrown in to help it pass.
(For the same reason, to those who say Sabbat should get a similar card, I don't think it'll be very effective. It would still be easier to build around Camarilla princes since they're still cheaper, and still have better cards)

I also dislike the design of the card for going, "You're losing? Well, now you're winning!" Rubber-banding is terrible for games. I know this is just my own bias, but I'd rather see someone win for managing their pool between offense and defense, and not having the game go, "aww, you have the lowest pool. here's a pity bonus to help you catch up!" even if you were never bled and had really spent it all on vampires and assault rifles.

But really, all those reasons aside, the main reason I think Parity Shift needs changes is because getting rid of it will open up the voting field, adding more variety to the game. KRCs and Con Boons are really good by themselves. But people gravitate heavily towards Cam Princes because Parity Shift does the job of both KRC and Conboon together. It's a crutch, and I'd rather it were 1-per-methuselah or banned. Princes and Justicars would still have a lot of powerful toys to play with, such as the six tradition cards. I think other types of vote decks would become viable and played more often (maybe sabbat still needs a little boost though).
This isn't like trying to balance disciplines, because Dominate has ALL the tools and it's hard to pick out one problem card to take away, so it's better to just boost all the other disciplines to be more competitive. With voting, Parity Shift IS the one problem card that warps the game around it.

More
02 Dec 2011 21:54 #16876 by Haze
a crazy hypothesis:
since parity shift always seems to spawn the most table discussion when played, yet it doesn't really add or remove pool from the table but just moves it around, perhaps it is partly responsible for timed out tables? banning or limiting it might speed up the average game length! :)

it's a trifle factor but I wonder if there's any truth to it

More
02 Dec 2011 21:57 #16879 by Ankha

a crazy hypothesis:
since parity shift always seems to spawn the most table discussion when played, yet it doesn't really add or remove pool from the table but just moves it around, perhaps it is partly responsible for timed out tables? banning or limiting it might speed up the average game length! :)

it's a trifle factor but I wonder if there's any truth to it

Consanguineous Boon creates pool, which is worse. Ban Consanguineous Boon. :)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds