file Attempt to Fix (not ban) Events

11 Mar 2014 10:21 #59828 by Ankha

Since having many minions (>5 in your suggestion) puts a big red cross the player, I'd not count poltical part of PA as a cost. This is how politics should have been played in the first place, from the general look of them. Coercing others to take mutually beneficial PAs. If damaging someone with 5+ minions is not mutually beneficial for the whole table, I do not know what is...

The problem with weenies in most cases is that you die well before you draw your silver bullets. Perhaps errata-ing one of existing cards to have a limited help against weenies might be worthwhile. For example, adding "burn/send to torpor up to two vampires, controlled by your predator with capacity 2 or less". You take a card, which is exclusively used with (and limited to) archetypes most vulnerable to a horde of weenies, and give it a high-opportunity cost high-focus high-effectiveness effect. Or just a make a slightly weaker version of high-cap accelerator to compete for card slots with a similar opportunistic side-effect.

Well, I indicated it was a pun, but at least it illustrates my point: taken generally, any aspect of the game is subject to discussion and various points of views.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2014 11:22 #59831 by kombainas
Yes, but the argument that there are other problems more pressing does not mean other should be left alone. For the constructiveness, this topic is about the events ;) .

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
11 Mar 2014 14:11 #59836 by ThatGuyThere
For what it's worth, I think Events are (mostly) fine.

I think if MMPAs were fixed (I'm not sure how; probably by putting a hard (and low) limit on how many MPAs you can have), Anthelios becomes okay, too.

My playgroup doesn't have any Allies decks, or Imbued at all, so I've no experience there. For all I know, Unmasking ruins everything. Dunno, can't say.

I think the idea(s) of "events remove events" will create a problem. Events would become a required card type, and that's ... not great.

After all, if I have to include Anthelios to remove Anthelios, well, then that's incentive to use Anthelios, too.

I don't think "printing" new cards is a great solution - but it's the one I like most. In fact, print two cards - a Minion card that lets you burn an Event as an action, and a Master card that lets you burn an Event (Arson and Unnatural Disaster, but for Events) and suddenly, they're throttled, without being choked out.

More
11 Mar 2014 14:36 #59838 by Ankha

I don't think "printing" new cards is a great solution - but it's the one I like most. In fact, print two cards - a Minion card that lets you burn an Event as an action

There are already two I can think of, first one requiring a Black Hand, the second an anarch with dementation.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
11 Mar 2014 14:51 #59840 by Jeff Kuta

Once again, what's the issue? and what are people here trying to fix?

From the OP:

Events are global disruptors, and have rightly earned quite a bit of community hate. But they were designed from the beginning to be global disruptors, to shake up the full table state. The cleanest solution is to say this idea was entertaining in theory but ugly in practice and to ban the whole thing outright.

This is not that topic.

This topic is to explore a rule change -- not a new card, because that silver bullet tech has been out en masse and the issue is still with us -- to keep events while mitigating their swingy and hard-to-respond presence.

Azel wants to fix the event mechanic, not one particular event. I agree with him that something should be done. The currently existing methods of removing events are way too weak compared to the strength of the event cards that exist.

Either proposed rules change would provide players with more opportunities to counter events which they believe are too powerful overall, or at the very least too disruptive to their deck's ability to win a table. The beauty of a rules change is that it doesn't require creation of a new card to implement. Better still, the more powerful an event card is, the more incentive there is for players to use the new and better countermeasures available to them.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
11 Mar 2014 17:39 #59842 by ThatGuyThere

There are already two I can think of, first one requiring a Black Hand, the second an anarch with dementation.

I'd argue that those are too niche.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds