file "Official Announcement" needed

22 Jul 2011 18:14 #6666 by Haze
if there's anything I know about the commercial art world, it's that companies usually don't go combing the internet looking for you, asking if they can throw money at you. no matter how fancy your website or facebook page is. I hear a lot of jobs are like that.

also considering that this would be volunteer work for no pay, how else are they supposed to find eager volunteers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2011 18:18 #6667 by KevinM

My memory disagrees with your experience, Kevin.
At every trade show, WW would have time set aside to art portfolios.

I've never attended one with White Wolf, but "trade shows" aren't accessible to the public. So, they're essentially "private" calls for art. That's what I mean by "private".

They also had a webpage dedicated to explaining how to submit art for consideration for future work. i.e. they always had a message out to find new artists. Once they had a project to work on, they contacted those previously vetted artists with assignments.

I would have had no problem if the VEKN would have created a webpage exactly as you describe, and asked for artists there. In fact, I think that's an excellent idea, if the VEKN wishes to be perceived as "professional" in this regard.

My issue is that, because of the way that this was done, it's now going to be on the lips of players for months, and it may not even happen. There are a hundred other things that players could be focusing on that they have some control over and would be useful to them, their playgroup, and the national and worldwide community at-large, instead of some pipe-dream. I've seen pipe-dreams ruin people due to false hope and expectations, and I don't want that to happen to anyone in the already fragile player base.

So, maybe it's just me, but I worry.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 Jul 2011 21:48 #6675 by Adonai

I've never attended one with White Wolf, but "trade shows" aren't accessible to the public. So, they're essentially "private" calls for art. That's what I mean by "private".

By 'trade shows' I mean DragonCon and GenCon.

It might have happened at Origins as well, but I didn't attend that one very often and never needed anything from the White Wolf booth when I was there.

More
22 Jul 2011 23:20 #6681 by KevinM

By 'trade shows' I mean DragonCon and GenCon.

It might have happened at Origins as well, but I didn't attend that one very often and never needed anything from the White Wolf booth when I was there.

I never saw that or heard of that happening at either of those conventions, so I cannot comment, but if it did happen as you say, then I believe that was still conducted "off to the side", or semi-privately, and not in full view of the public, for the public to discuss while it was going on right there.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 Jul 2011 23:29 - 22 Jul 2011 23:30 #6682 by Adonai
It was scheduled on a placard at the booth, with days and times that portfolios would be accepted. It was usually just a quick discussion to ensure that contact information was with the samples.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get R. Brian Smith more work from his portfolio. He did do the first really nice rules playmat though. (One or more of the predecessors to this: www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtesplaymat.pdf )
Last edit: 22 Jul 2011 23:30 by Adonai.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds