file Proposal for a new set: 'IV'

21 Sep 2015 09:33 - 21 Sep 2015 09:47 #73269 by Disco_Stu
Thanks all for your replies, btw! Happy with how it's shaping up.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 09:47 by Disco_Stu. Reason: Duplicate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2015 09:33 - 21 Sep 2015 09:44 #73270 by Disco_Stu

Any other thoughts on what would be a good 'OMG Sabbat are scary bastards?' card?

Not so sure about scary, but as a decent Sabbat utility card, Abbot. Scratch that, it's already included, I was just looking in the wrong place.

Fiendish Tongue? Although the anarch text on it would be a bit weird for the same

As well as masters and clan cards, indicate the brutality through card art on Sabbat-y cards?

Yep, I cut Fiendish Tomgue from my first draft for that very reason. Maybe a War Party or Deploy the Hand? I don't want to assume anything for the artwork.

Okay, AK-47 is in. I like your concept for draft text for Ivory Bow, but I'll assume no changes to card text (unless it's a clarification). Something like Improvised Flamethrower or Black Gloves may be good for aggro-weaponry, without busting the power curve.

Rumours of Gehenna and Disputed Territory are in. I've never had much luck with the latter card, beyond a rather hilarious game where my Daughters vote deck managed to steal a Harbinger Brinksmanship deck's Slaughterhouses and mill him. Oh VTES, never change.... :laugh:

Cheers

Disco

Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 09:44 by Disco_Stu.

More
23 Sep 2015 06:53 #73288 by jamesatzephyr

Rumours of Gehenna and Disputed Territory are in. I've never had much luck with the latter card, beyond a rather hilarious game where my Daughters vote deck managed to steal a Harbinger Brinksmanship deck's Slaughterhouses and mill him. Oh VTES, never change.... :laugh:

Disputed definitely isn't the strongest card in the game, but it's probably the best of the disciplineless cards that meddle with locations - Arson, Unnatural Disaster and New Management - and I think keeping one of them accessible is sensible.

Depending on your master selection, locations can also be more plentiful in draft, if you're aiming for that to be a goal of the set. Players generally won't be able to draft the blood and pool gain that we see in so many decks, nor a clutch of Washes or Sudden Reversals. So then you're probably looking at decks that are drafting and potentially playing quite a few cheap-ish location, both from the clanless/discipliness pile, but also from those with requirements.

More
24 Sep 2015 07:39 #73305 by alek
As I wrote before IMO it's better to just stick to basic clans but to allow all discipline cards for that clans than to limit cards that you can use in artificial way.
But even if you want to keep those limited pools of cards for each disciline, IMO it's better to stick to cards that are staples (widely used in casual and tournament plays) for those discilines/ types of cards. From what I saw in proposed cards a lot of them are just garbage that never sees play. If you want to teach new players how the game looks like and what each discipline is capable of do it with right stuff. Otherwise they will build in themselves false impresions about strenght and capabilities of each discipline/ clan/ tactic, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
24 Sep 2015 09:42 #73308 by Disco_Stu

As I wrote before IMO it's better to just stick to basic clans but to allow all discipline cards for that clans than to limit cards that you can use in artificial way.
But even if you want to keep those limited pools of cards for each disciline, IMO it's better to stick to cards that are staples (widely used in casual and tournament plays) for those discilines/ types of cards. From what I saw in proposed cards a lot of them are just garbage that never sees play. If you want to teach new players how the game looks like and what each discipline is capable of do it with right stuff. Otherwise they will build in themselves false impresions about strenght and capabilities of each discipline/ clan/ tactic, etc.

Hi Alek, I (unsurprisingly) disagree. The number of discipline cards for those basic clans (by which I assume we mean core Camarilla, plus perhaps the two Sabbat clans and some Independents?) is very broad. If we're using IV as a means of sharing the game with a broader pool of players, this continues the uneven power curve of existing cards. Few cards are garbage (although there are some). Fewer cards will be garbage if the set is carefully curated to the point that outliers are eliminated.

For example, most decks (most, not all) would prefer to play with Govern than Scouting Mission. Does that mean SM is a terrible card? Not at all - but it is weaker than Govern, in that most players would prefer to spend 1 blood for the more powerful effect. Removing Govern from IV isn't because a) it's broken, b) I think DOM should be hamstrung or c) I have a deep love of SM. Rather, it's because trading Govern out for SM smoothed some bumps out of the power curve.

Disco

More
24 Sep 2015 11:23 - 24 Sep 2015 11:24 #73310 by Ashur

For example, most decks (most, not all) would prefer to play with Govern than Scouting Mission. Does that mean SM is a terrible card? Not at all - but it is weaker than Govern, in that most players would prefer to spend 1 blood for the more powerful effect.

Govern is broken. I wouldn´t include it if I designed a new base set today - or I would make it move blood from your pool, not from the blood bank.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 11:24 by Ashur.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds