file Responsible bleed modifiers

03 Jan 2018 00:05 - 03 Jan 2018 00:06 #84690 by jamesatzephyr
An idea has been bouncing round my head for the last week or so, which is to give some weaker strategies a bleed boost and to annoy bleed bounce a little at the same time. The particular thing that's been going round is the fact that if I bleed you for four and you bounce it, my grand-prey gets bled for four instead. Not so great. So the generic idea I had was to do something about that. So the basic idea is something like this, as an action modifier:
You cannot play another action modifier to increase this bleed amount.
[obf][pro] +1 bleed
[obf][PRO] +2 bleed. The next time the target of the bleed changes during this action, you may choose to reduce the bleed by 2.

Could easily be a bleed action instead. Could be for any discipline or clan or trait or whatever you want. It could have any reasonable cost you wanted - perhaps a blood cost for the card itself, or burn a blood to activate the reduction.

I thought about options like making it a reusable master or equipment/retainer, but those generally seemed too easy to combo with lots of Dominate without a lot of restrictions. In this specific design, the number of vampires with obf/PRO/dom+ is very small - only 3 with a quick check on SecretLibrary - though that wouldn't necessarily be the case with other designs, obviously.

But is there a kernel of something usable here? Make a weaker strategy stronger by giving it some offence but make it slightly different to the standard bleed mods and make bleed bounce gnash its teeth ever so slightly at only getting a bleed for one on its prey when defending itself from a bleed of three.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 00:06 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2018 03:15 #84692 by LivesByProxy
Sounds like a cool idea for a card, to me.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
03 Jan 2018 06:48 #84693 by Tenrin
Replied by Tenrin on topic Responsible bleed modifiers
Spying Mission already does something sorta similar, canceling a current bleed to add +2 on a future one after your prey is ousted.

More
03 Jan 2018 07:25 #84695 by LivesByProxy
Spying Mission is entirely obfuscate based though. Maybe with the idea OP has could be tweaked to be some other discipline(s). Thinking of a card name to give context to the effect is probably the hard part.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
03 Jan 2018 17:05 #84707 by kschaefer
I think that Revelation of Desire is the templating pattern that you'd want to use here.

Revelation of Desire
Action Modifier
Serpentis
You cannot play another action modifier to increase this bleed amount.
[ser] +1 bleed.
[SER] Burn one of your corruption counters from a minion controlled by the target Methuselah to get +3 bleed against that Methuselah.

So, instead of boost with a later reduction, I'd use a "target Methuselah" or "current Methuselah" phrasing or even more simply "your prey".

That being said, RoD doesn't see a lot of play, mostly because corruption counters don't see a lot of play. The overall design concept is already possible, just not well explored. I would like to see more cards explore this design space.

More
04 Jan 2018 04:54 #84718 by ReverendRevolver
I like the premise alot.

Eryss' Gift
Action modifier

:pro: +1 bleed. You cannot play any additional action modifiers to increase bleed amount.
:PRO: Only useable if a Methuselah other than your prey is the target of this bleed action. The acting vampire burns one blood to cause the action to end immidiately. Your prey burns 3 pool.

That ended up way wordier than I thought, but it would be interesting. Maybe drop the first part, and make :PRO: effect a :pro: effect and the card only have basic (like army of rats) and cost a blood.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds