file Responsible bleed modifiers

09 Jan 2018 10:50 #84825 by agzocgud
I dislike the idea of bleed modifiers within built-in bounce cancellation. That's like having a vote card with built in cryptic rider or proof against DT. Or a combat card that does it all, +strength, maneuver and limit opponent's strikes.

It's a big part of this game to play cards together, to combo them off, to manage your cardflow in order to achieve this and so on.

But as seperate cards, I'm all for this. I could see that Vile Reckoning superior effect as a reaction as well.

Overkill is highly underrated. You know, like in computor games and such.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2018 15:34 #84828 by kschaefer
I think it needs to make sense in the design space, a la Revelation of Desire. Using or trading targeted resource for targeted effects.

See also Dis Pater, which trades the ash heap, a typical Giovanni resource, for plus-bleed. It's not retargetable and it's of limited use (perhaps too limited).

More
09 Jan 2018 19:07 - 09 Jan 2018 19:12 #84831 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Responsible bleed modifiers
Revelation of Voraciousness
:modifier:
1 :blood:
Only usable during a bleed action. You cannot play another action modifier to further increase this bleed amount.
:ser: Reduce this bleed by 1 to put a corruption counter on one of the target methuselah's minions (if the bleed is successful).
:SER: Choose a minion with your corruption counters. Burn one of those counters to now bleed the controller of that minion.

Extra conditions are always interesting!

Furthermore, why make bleeds more powerful by having counters to bounce, when you could design cards that deal pool damage in other ways than bleeding? Sure, that lessens the combotastibility of extra bleeds and such, but introducing other ways of ousting people than bleeding should also lessen the importance and impact of bounce as well. Take some, lose some.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 19:12 by Kraus.

More
09 Jan 2018 20:03 #84832 by kschaefer

Revelation of Voraciousness
:modifier:
1 :blood:
Only usable during a bleed action. You cannot play another action modifier to further increase this bleed amount.
:ser: Reduce this bleed by 1 to put a corruption counter on one of the target methuselah's minions (if the bleed is successful).
:SER: Choose a minion with your corruption counters. Burn one of those counters to now bleed the controller of that minion.

Because this action modifier doesn't increase the bleed, you could play Revelation of Desire first, which precludes further increases and then still play this card. But it wouldn't work the other way around. I don't think that's the effect you're going for.

More
09 Jan 2018 21:37 - 09 Jan 2018 21:41 #84833 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Responsible bleed modifiers
That is pretty much the effect I'm going for. You can't first fish out for the bounce and then hit the hardest you can - you'll have to either go big or go ho-- wrong neighbour?

Anyways, I'm positive on how I want to write it. :)

But yeah, the intent of this card in particular aside, you can do all sorts of conditional things with cards. Balance could be discussed after the mechanics have been established.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 21:41 by Kraus.

More
10 Jan 2018 02:36 - 10 Jan 2018 02:37 #84834 by ReverendRevolver

These are mostly all good and fine ideas, but remember that theres a good reason for protean not having any extra blees cards: its one of the best survival and delivery disciplines in the game.

Protean, while not as screwed as Necro, is the worst off jyhad age discipline(because :cel: at least gets to excel at it's themes). It's supposed to be an aggressive combat and utility discipline but literally the only thing it does better than anything else is Strike: combat ends and untap.
Agg hands? Yes, it has 30% of it's card pool do that for one or more blood, and it does stealth for blood, intercept for blood and or drawback, a hunt action for votes later, 4 blood for block fails, a retainer that costs blood and untaps you between turn for more blood, and of course untapping to gain blood once in torpor. Oh, and the permanent or semi permanent effects like press, manuever, agg poke that cost, you guessed it, more blood. I'm sorry, i forgot, you can also turn into a damn fire breathing dragon for a bunch of blood too.

Point is, I love the original idea, and protean has been waiting since 1994 to do something worthwhile that doesn't cost tons of blood. You know, because the 2 best :PRO: cards are S:ce variants

:)
Last edit: 10 Jan 2018 02:37 by ReverendRevolver.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds