file "...why proxies are not going to be allowed..."

24 Nov 2011 09:18 - 24 Nov 2011 09:19 #15751 by Oskar
Just lost my long reply to this, will try to sum it up again :(

Regarding collection value, player interest in the cards is one factor driving the card value, but it is not the only one. Another is collector interest. Players and collectors are of course often the same people.

If nothing changes from how it is right now we need to face the fact that we have a dwindling playerbase since players dropping off are hard to replace - so value of collections would eventually go down regardless. But collector interest will always remain long after the game is really dead.

If we can expand the playerbase by allowing proxies and by this bring in new players and activate old ones again who can now build the deck they always dreamt of etc. then I think it will also be good for the card value in the long run. Of course only some players also have any interest in collecting, many would happily play with only proxies, but a larger playerbase will always be good for the game.

Sure the CCG aspects like trading and building from a limited collection has it's own charm, but we will never be able to maintain that anyway and at the same time allow entry points for new players without commercial backing. So I think VEKN should focus on maintaining what we can - a great game mechanic & tournament scene.

Regardless, if proxies are allowed I think it should be made clear from the beginning that if official production of VTES it resumed at some point they should be banned from tournaments again.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2011 09:19 by Oskar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2011 09:54 #15757 by johannes
I think this point is moot. We are allowing all cards in their original distribution form. For WotC/WW cards it is the printed version from them, for V:EKN issued cards it is the print-yourself version. The new cards are not proxies, they are just distributed in another way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: er-principe, Lönkka, extrala, Vlad, Hakuron, Lech

More
24 Nov 2011 19:14 #15844 by Juggernaut1981
Johannes,
Will there be a future way to get "WW-quality" cards via VEKN in something as a pay-to-print form?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
24 Nov 2011 19:56 #15852 by Brum
Hardly, because the issue here is the nobody in the Planet can make a profit in any way with Hasbro and CCP property without their permission.
The printing companies would.
Or the companies they buy the materials would, etc.

We can create fan-based cards.
We can allow proxies to be privately made.
We cannot have a company do this, unless it is free and they are at a loss.

That is my understanding of the issue.

More
25 Nov 2011 09:15 #15912 by TunFiskeMad
For me it's not about the resell value of my collection, it's about the how I value my collection, both in terms of money and time spend.
(yes I feel cheated having to pay for all the boxes if new players just play with printed cards, its stupid but it's how I feel)

If you can use proxies both would seem to be a waste, since the value would be more zero now.

Also I have to say that all the new players we have tried to recruit, not one has mentioned access to cards as the reason they didn't really want to play.

So from my perspective this is all about active players not having the cardes they want.

- I have bitten the mighy judge-beard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, acbishop, Jesper, dude_PL

More
25 Nov 2011 10:49 #15923 by Brum
The time and money you've spent collecting you cards will be a bigger waste when there's less and less players in the game.

Your recruits disappeared and the reasons where not about the gap of cards between them and the older players?
Please do tell. We have spaces for that discussion and some of us are really interested in knowing what things through people off this game.

I've been one of the biggest advocates for the legalization of some proxies.
I have all the cards I want from the set of cards I agree that should be made into proxies.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds