file What make VtES hard to learn

20 Sep 2012 06:11 #37353 by Ke.

The fact is that in the CRR there is an "End of Round" and "End of Combat" step and that based on the comparable card (Coordinate Attacks) they actually don't have identical wording. Coordinate Attacks has the same text as the old version of Psyche (at the end of combat). The easiest ruling (and without needing errata) would have been to make Coordinate Attacks and Psyche be played in combat "at the end".

Again, you need to update your card text:

Coordinate Attacks
[san] Only usable at the end of a round if the minion opposing the Blood Brother you control is still ready and combat is about to end. After this round, this Blood Brother taps and enters combat with the opposing minion. The first round of combat, the opposing minion cannot play any strike cards.

[SAN] As [san] above, and this Blood Brother gets an optional maneuver on the first round of combat.

Rarity: BL:C2 LoB:C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2012 08:44 #37367 by Juggernaut1981
I also used a 'credible' source for the text. Secret Library. Apparently there are discrepancies about the text.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
20 Sep 2012 10:14 - 20 Sep 2012 10:15 #37379 by Ke.
Credible yes, but as others have pointed out in this thread — in need of updating.

The current card texts are available here:

www.vekn.net/index.php/card-lists

Or directly:

www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/cardlist.txt

There's no point blindly ignoring that the card text has changed — you're just adding to the confusion.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 10:15 by Ke.. Reason: typo

More
20 Sep 2012 13:25 #37403 by brandonsantacruz
When I have demoed the game I found that people get the basic mechanics by the end of the first game. As long as they look at their hand when deciding what they want to do and understand what the symbols mean, they can basically follow along.

Learning the more complex interactions in the game, which can even just be remembering to account for some card someone might play. That may require an extensive knowledge of the cards that exist (and there are many). If you keep and open mind and understand the various abilities that exist (block fails, unblockable actions, re-starting combat, etc), then you can slowly associate those with disciplines and specific cards eventually.

New players could play with a more limited collection of cards (theirs and their opponents) to begin with, then open up to the broader VTES card base when ready if that helps.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
22 Sep 2012 11:22 #37506 by Azel
I was looking through someone's direct-to-player L5R box recently. It was beautifully made and had these sweet plastic dividers with art on them to separate cards. In all there was 20 dividers: 9 for the clans +1 for the unaligned, and another 10 for each of the other card types (which do have keyword distinctions within, but generally isn't as immediately obvious like disciplines).

I got to thinking how many dividers it'd take for my VTES collection to do the same. I got somewhere around 92 dividers. Possibly I could consolidate, but clans alone, ignoring imbued creeds, still leave 35 dividers alone. This revelation was impressive and made me proud to be a VTES player. It's an agglutinating CCG.

Here, I'll share my breakdown!:

Clans - 7 original Camarilla +1 for Caitiff, 4 original Independents, 9 original Sabbat (7 of which are antitribu) +1 for Pander, 10 Bloodlines, 4 Laibon, and Abomination. If you consolidated Antitribru + Pander with their counterpart that still is at 27. And then there's 7 Creeds.

There's 28 disciplines, plus two un-disciplines (looks like the real thing, but none of the caffeine!) - Jyhad big 10, Indie 4, Sabbat 3, Bloodlines 10, Abombwe, + Maleficia and Striga (the un-colas). And then there's the Imbued 7 Virtues.

10 Primary card types (to sort the discipline-less stuff) +2 Imbued (Conviction + Power). I guess you could mix all the disciplines in a singular, oh so very large division, but well... yeah, no. Perhaps subdividers!

And since all together it's so close, might as well find space for Sect cards. That's 3 + Anarch.

So all together it's enough dividers for a max size VTES deck! :) Please oh please don't get rid of all this legacy stuff. It's the little things that stuck upon the game, like Katamari Damacy, that makes it awesome. In fact, we should add KotE, because explosions!
:evil: :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda, porphyrion

More
22 Sep 2012 13:57 #37522 by Reyda

It's the little things that stuck upon the game, like Katamari Damacy, that makes it awesome.
:evil: :silly:

Spot On.

and kudos for the Katamari reference ;)

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds