file combat rebalancing

11 Mar 2016 10:19 #75935 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic combat rebalancing
My suggestion for SCE was not make them round enders - they will end combat all right just not instantly but after the resolution of the opponents strike.

There are two schools of combat:
- either you go for the kill, trying to torporize / empty / burn the opposing minion in one combat. This means you must be able to handle any counters the opposing minion may present: S:CE of course, prevent, long range etc.
- or you grind the vampires, meaning you play a few cards until the opponent can't evade anymore.

This is golden.

After analizing the EC meta I've come to the conclusion that combat is quite fine, you just have to go with the second "school".

People, who try to make "dedicated combat decks" must be discouraged, like people who try to make "dedicated hunt decks" ("6 minions with blood dolls hunting for 2 each with sabbat tech is so cool") - combat is an activity which doesn't win the game so it have to compliment real strategy, not be the main focus.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2016 11:08 - 11 Mar 2016 11:29 #75936 by alek
Replied by alek on topic combat rebalancing

Combat is an activity which doesn't win the game so it have to compliment real strategy, not be the main focus.

Actually it can be the main focus. In most cases it just NEEDS some extra cards that would take care for ousting part: some bleed actions/ modifiers, permanent bleed bonuses, etc. It can even be the main and only focus of the deck in case of weenie combat, where number of minions take care of prey's pool quickly. Weenie DBR, potence weenie, weenie recruiting War Ghouls are probably best examples here (at least the ones I remember being very succesfull in tournaments).
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 11:29 by alek.

More
11 Mar 2016 11:23 - 11 Mar 2016 11:24 #75937 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic combat rebalancing

My suggestion for SCE was not make them round enders - they will end combat all right just not instantly but after the resolution of the opponents strike.

It would protect you from additional strikes (very rare, only Celerity use them) and from presses at the cost of 1 card that replaces your strike (so you don't even hit back).
It would make S:CE extremely weak.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 11:24 by Ankha.

More
11 Mar 2016 12:22 #75938 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic combat rebalancing
I was merely pointing out the the 'counters' you present, are in their nature relatively corner-case and unlikely to be considered in the majority of situations as a counter for S:CE.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
11 Mar 2016 16:03 #75940 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic combat rebalancing

I was merely pointing out the the 'counters' you present, are in their nature relatively corner-case and unlikely to be considered in the majority of situations as a counter for S:CE.

I don't consider Death Seeker nor Hall of Mirrors being cornercase. I'd rather say that players have not yet seen their potential.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
11 Mar 2016 21:33 #75943 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic combat rebalancing

I don't consider Death Seeker nor Hall of Mirrors being cornercase. I'd rather say that players have not yet seen their potential.

The potential for Hall of Mirrors combined with Illusions of the Kindred strikes me as probably the most interesting way forward. IotK has always been kinda interesting with things like IotK + Horrid Reality + Flamethrower (or whatever), but susceptible to S:CE and other defensive strategies. Toss in Hall of Mirrors and it seems more resilient. And you don't care so much about the blood cost because it's the Illusion paying that - though 2 for IotK that you can't Taste back is, of course, annoying in the first place. (And even more annoying when someone just plays S:CE against your Illusion.)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds