file Rules update suggestion: Diablerie and Disciplines

20 Oct 2017 06:38 - 20 Oct 2017 13:39 #83945 by elotar

Define "early". Easily within the last 10 years kamigawa, Ravnica, all 4 parts of Lorwyn, and especially time spiral had multiple variants of counters on permanent, as cratures, and out if play cards. I quit MTG, but I'm still confused.

OK, let's take Lorwyn, as a set I've even played draft once. Please, provide an example of several types of different counters, which are supposed to be on one card.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:39 by elotar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:46 - 20 Oct 2017 12:58 #83948 by TwoRazorReign
I think elotar has a point. Different kinds of counters on one card is confusing. Even if it wasn't confusing, VTES already involves way too many counters. There's even a video out there poking fun at this (see 3:28 mark):

So yeah, the game already has too much going on with counters. It doesn't need required special tokens for each discipline.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 12:58 by TwoRazorReign.

More
20 Oct 2017 12:54 - 20 Oct 2017 13:07 #83949 by Bloodartist

So yeah, the game already has too much going on with counters. It doesn't need required special tokens for each discipline.

True, but if the counters would be represented by cards I think it would be fine. It could be likened to auras (enchant creature) in magic the gathering, for which there is no limit how many you can have on a single creature and they are a staple in any modern Magic sets, even the very latest.

The situation is slightly different compared to magic as vampires in VTES are more 'important' since all actions are being played through them, and having egg basket vampires with lots of cards on them is relatively commonplace.

OK, let's take Lorwyn, as an set I've even played once. Please provide an example of two types of different counters, which are supposed to be on one card.

The first example I can think of offhand is commander 2013, which featured number of level up creatures from rise of the eldrazi, meaning they could have level up counters and +1/+1 counters on them. Time spiral, which was mentioned earlier, featured reprint of Icatian javelineers with its javelin counter.

Amonkhet set from april 2017 features planeswalker Gideon of the trials, who can turn himself into a creature and thus have both loyalty counters and +1/+1 counters (even though its somewhat unlikely).

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:07 by Bloodartist.

More
20 Oct 2017 13:04 #83950 by TwoRazorReign

...having egg basket vampires with lots of cards on them is relatively commonplace.

There's also a legacy of excessive amounts of cards on minions being a bad thing, leading to too much upkeep and accounting. See Imbued and Events. Probably best to not add more types of counters.

More
20 Oct 2017 13:08 - 20 Oct 2017 13:09 #83951 by Bloodartist

There's also a legacy of excessive amounts of cards on minions being a bad thing, leading to too much upkeep and accounting. See Imbued and Events. Probably best to not add more types of counters.

Its not like the original suggestion adds anything extra, since you can already play discipline cards on those vampires.The same discipline cards they would be getting off the diablerie.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:09 by Bloodartist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

More
20 Oct 2017 13:57 - 20 Oct 2017 13:58 #83952 by Kraus
Thanks @Bloodartist for pointing it out in my place - the card form counters wouldn't really add more than a card or two per game to the field.

If even that.

...having egg basket vampires with lots of cards on them is relatively commonplace.

This is a can of worms on a whole different scale, I'm sure you agree.

Krausedit\\ So yeah, I'm talking about counters here definitely in card form, as the old anarch and curroption counters. Very similar to the Master: Disciplines, but aesthetically different and coming off the decks.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:58 by Kraus.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds