file Rules update suggestion: Diablerie and Disciplines

20 Oct 2017 17:14 #83953 by self biased
the whole problem of 'too many different kinds of counters on a card' goes away if you stop thinking about V:tes as a conventional CCG, and think of it as a Board Game that's played with cards. I feel the comparison is apt, because if you look at how the style of play lines up between v:tes and some of the more involved board games out there (Agricola, Twilight Imperium, Ikusa, &c), there are a lot of similarities.

There's also a legacy of excessive amounts of cards on minions being a bad thing, leading to too much upkeep and accounting. See Imbued and Events. Probably best to not add more types of counters.

define 'excessvie.'

the old Legend of the Five Rings CCG used to put potentially several dozen cards into play by design and there's no issue there in terms of upkeep of accounting. I suspect that the recursion issues that crop up with imbued are the culprit of the notion that 'too many cards on a minion makes for too much upkeep.' I mean, gangrel retainer decks are a popular archetype, Right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 18:19 - 20 Oct 2017 19:41 #83954 by TwoRazorReign

the whole problem of 'too many different kinds of counters on a card' goes away if you stop thinking about V:tes as a conventional CCG, and think of it as a Board Game that's played with cards. I feel the comparison is apt, because if you look at how the style of play lines up between v:tes and some of the more involved board games out there (Agricola, Twilight Imperium, Ikusa, &c), there are a lot of similarities.

There's also a legacy of excessive amounts of cards on minions being a bad thing, leading to too much upkeep and accounting. See Imbued and Events. Probably best to not add more types of counters.

define 'excessvie.'

I tried looking up "excessvie" in the dictionary and couldn't find it. :P

the old Legend of the Five Rings CCG used to put potentially several dozen cards into play by design and there's no issue there in terms of upkeep of accounting.

That game no longer exists in the same format, so apparently there was an issue.

I suspect that the recursion issues that crop up with imbued are the culprit of the notion that 'too many cards on a minion makes for too much upkeep.'

There's that, and the fact that other players need to look at the 20-30 cards that the imbued player has out before playing their turn.

I mean, gangrel retainer decks are a popular archetype, Right?

Do you mean Gangrel decks with Raven Spy? Not sure what your point is. That there are popular decks that do things similar to imbued (put lots of permanents and cards on minions) and don't involve recursion and massive upkeep?
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 19:41 by TwoRazorReign.

More
21 Oct 2017 11:00 #83960 by elotar

OK, let's take Lorwyn, as an set I've even played once. ...

The first example I can think of offhand is commander 2013...

So, you are saying there was no such example in Lorwyn?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
21 Oct 2017 16:59 #83962 by elotar
For discipline tokens in card form I see no problem in game, but it looks kind of bothering - any player should have with him several copies of such cards for each discipline for extremely rare situations when it will be usefull (or lose competitive edge in such situations).

Somebody mentioned contemporary boardgames, and it's a common problem as I see it - some games got so many components that management of them is making the whole game experience annoying.

It's not very big problem, but the gain of "better diablery" not looks so big either.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
21 Oct 2017 18:13 #83963 by ReverendRevolver
I suppose we could just make it a skill card from outside the game.......

:)

More
23 Oct 2017 10:35 #83974 by Bloodartist

So, you are saying there was no such example in Lorwyn?

I don't think so, I went through Lorwyn cards, assuming you meant the set and not the block.
There are far later examples though like I mentioned. Latest from last spring.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds