lock Card name change suggestion

20 Jul 2018 09:23 #89100 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Card name change suggestion

We can wallpaper them by making a new versions with improvements (Gypsies and Rom Gypsy don't see play anyway).

Not True!

Kamel was playing a Week of Nightmares deck in EC 2004 (Heidelberg) featuring a host of Suddens and DIs as well as several Rom Gypsies (foiling my Daring the Dawns).

So usage at high level tournaments is prove.

Although it has been quite a while... :/

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The topic has been locked.
  • Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
20 Jul 2018 13:21 #89109 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Card name change suggestion

I am sorry for them, but there is nothing I can do about it.

What, precisely, is keeping you from changing the name of the card?

I understand that the answer to this question may be "I can't tell you, due to the terms of the licensing agreement," but if that is not the answer, It seems like it's as simple as altering text in a handful files.

With the recent heat White Wolf has gotten over the release of V5, this seems like a super easy fix and a chance for the people to say "Look we fixed this awful thing!"

They would need to WASTE space reprinting this unplayable trash. That is good enough reason.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.
More
20 Jul 2018 14:47 #89113 by self biased

They would need to WASTE space reprinting this unplayable trash. That is good enough reason.

I disagree on both counts. They can just change the name in the databases and not reprint the card.

I also feel that taking steps to show respect to other cultures and people is a great reason to make these changes.
More
20 Jul 2018 14:51 #89114 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Card name change suggestion
If they symbolically changed the name in the official listing and never reprinted it, the card would be in limbo.
A card in the listing that doesn’t exist, and cards in circulation that can’t be found in the listing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Lech, 1uck
More
03 Aug 2018 21:52 #89612 by Robert Scythe
This is why SJW's get a bad rap. This is an unimportant issue in a game that also uses 'gaje' which is a Romany derogatory term for people who are not Roma, akin to the Mexican slang 'gringo'. From a country where the word 'nigga' is socially acceptable, and not just coming from blacks (B.Real from Cypress Hill and Tarantino movies come to mind), this is one of the least worries about racism. Cher had recorded a popular song that had the line: "We heard it from the people of the town, they called us 'gypsies, tramps and thieves', we can infer that gypsy is derogatory but nobody's defending tramps and thieves. If we had a card entitled "No Good, Two Bit Whore" nobody should be trying to change it to "Streetwise Pro". The world that this card game is set in seems comfortable with gritty, derogatory,street settings as well as rich, conservative, political settings and rides the balance of this in a believable fashion.
More
04 Aug 2018 00:08 #89615 by self biased
I never thought that "hey, could we please not use racist terminology in this game we all enjoy" would be such a hard sell.

Personally, I'm a big fan of being kind to people who play the game and refraining from using racist terminology seems like a simple thing to me. Yes, it's the world of Darkness, but perhaps the roleplaying game is a better venue for exploring those more gritty and unsavory themes than a card game that paints the setting in such broad strokes.

Kraus, I don't think there's really much more in the way of discussion here, especially after Ben's response, so go ahead and lock the thread if you feel it's the right thing to do.
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds