check State of the V:EKN - May 1

02 May 2012 03:39 #29232 by Azel
Replied by Azel on topic Re: State of the V:EKN - May 1
*sigh* :S Why am I not surprised about how this is proceeding...? VTES is a game, not a way of life. That is all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jussi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 04:03 #29233 by echiang

Ya know, I'm not really a supporter of the VEKN or the new set in any way, but if you openly take a stance against the VEKN and go your own way it isn't entirely unexpected to be removed from the VEKN IC, now is it?

In my opinion, I have not openly taken a stance against the VEKN at all. I do disagree with an official VEKN position (process issues regarding the new set) and have taken an unpopular course of action but that hardly makes me “anti-VEKN,” which many people seem to have concluded.

I think it is quite common for a person to support an institution even if they strongly disagree with some official positions. Lots of Americans are devoted to their country yet strongly oppose national decisions like the Iraq War or the embargo against Cuba. I imagine there are many people in countries like China who are patriotic yet strongly disapprove of the human rights violations commonly committed by their country. There are plenty of Catholics who support their religion, even if they disagree on the official church position on papal infallibility, abortion, and homosexuality.

In the U.S., abortion is legal. Yet there are plenty of pro-life judges. Some will look for loopholes and exceptions to gradually chip away at Roe v Wade (the case law which legalized abortion). Others may occasionally even blatantly rule against established case law, with the knowledge that a Court of Appeals will almost certainly overturn the ruling. There are plenty of state/federal disagreements where state governments support positions firmly opposed by the federal government (legalization of marijuana, homosexual marriage, immigration). Doing so doesn’t mean that you are “enemies” of the federal government. They just have different interpretations on the best way to serve their respective constituencies.

And those are all mostly oppositional, for-or-against issues. I do not see why the “official VEKN set” and the “Carl/Jeff/Eric” set have to be mutually exclusive. I don’t see why they can’t both be successful. As we have explicitly stated, when we are done with our set we will submit it to the VEKN and it would be nice if they accepted our cards and sanctioned their use.

I have never told anyone that they shouldn’t be involved in the official VEKN set. I have never suggested that people help with the “Carl/Jeff/Eric” set *instead of* with the official VEKN set. Most VTES players are adults and can make their own decisions. And if they decide to help with both sets then that’s fantastic!

It’s quite common for people to be involved in multiple charities. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it’s rare for people to be criticized for starting a charitable initiative – especially if it’s going towards a good cause. Carl, Jeff, and I are putting forth our efforts to better the game and the community. I am saddened that some people think we are “opposed to VEKN” because I do not see it that way at all.

With regards,
Eric Chiang
Inner Circle: Storyline Coordinator

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis, dude_PL, DeathInABottle

More
02 May 2012 06:05 #29250 by Lönkka

I do not see why the “official VEKN set” and the “Carl/Jeff/Eric” set have to be mutually exclusive. I don’t see why they can’t both be successful. As we have explicitly stated, when we are done with our set we will submit it to the VEKN and it would be nice if they accepted our cards and sanctioned their use.

Would you be willing to have the Official VEKN Design Team adjust the set you are planning? To change wordings or remove cards?

It would be extremely silly to have to different (competing?) design philosophies -a clear road to disaster if I've ever saw one.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Stefan, Ashur, Lemminkäinen, DTA

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 May 2012 12:42 #29267 by Damnans

In my opinion, I have not openly taken a stance against the VEKN at all.

This clearly indicates you have lost your compass, because you openly took a stance against the V:EKN when you fully endorsed Carl's resignation letter, a relevant fragment of which is quoted below:

The cards we have designed are not to be used by the V:EKN Design Team. Since the creative content for Round 1 originated from our work (including Jeff Kuta’s), and had no significant contributions from the remaining Design Team members, we insist that the Design Team refrains from further playtest of such cards and from including them in the upcoming set without our explicit permission. This creative content includes all of the cards from Round 1, with one exception, and any other ideas that we initiated and explored.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
02 May 2012 13:14 #29270 by Ohlmann
So because he disagree with one part of what do VEKN, he disagree with everything and should be fired on the spot. Or does the bad attitude of Echiang on one file shared with other aspect of what do VEKN ?

More
02 May 2012 13:22 #29271 by Damnans

So because he disagree with one part of what do VEKN, he disagree with everything and should be fired on the spot. Or does the bad attitude of Echiang on one file shared with other aspect of what do VEKN ?

Disagreement was not the reason.

For instance, prohibiting the V:EKN from using cards created by the V:EKN is taking a stance against the V:EKN.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds