file BOOM! Swedish Paradox acquires White Wolf

29 Oct 2015 14:36 #73926 by neotribe
It'd be tricky. I've been sitting here musing about it over coffee. I think the way to go would be some kind of asynchronous play on phones and tablets? I have various ideas about how it could work but I'm sure Paradox has vastly more competent people at their disposal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 15:24 #73928 by Ankha

Several swedish players, including myself, know senior people at Paradox, and many of those Paradox people are old VTM-roleplayers. Just let us know if we can helt VEKN in any way with this.

Whatever you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. If you can point their eyes at VEKN.net and the overall V:TES community, that would be great, as it seems Paradox is keen to reach out to the player communities of WW games. Get them in touch with the VEKN ICs. Ask them to post a public statement - even if the statement is "We don't know yet" - to the public forms here on VEKN.net so the whole community can hear from them. And thanks!

And getting the email address of "the people in charge" so that communication can be established.

Also, according to the article, Tobias Sjögren, CEO of the new White Wolf Publishing company will attend "a Vampire party in New Orleans this week to help celebrate and build ties with some of the game’s biggest fans."

Do we have any agents there?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
29 Oct 2015 16:12 #73932 by jamesatzephyr

The two main things are US Patent No. RE 37,957 and the Deckmaster trademark on the backs of the cards. There may be other elements - I honestly don't know - but those are the two most significant ones.

Is there any sharedable-with-the-outside-world, not-under-an-NDA clarity on who owns the intellectual property rights to the cards created by WotC? Did the copyright for - say - the cards in Jyhad or Dark Sovereigns get transferred to White Wolf (then CCP, and now possibly Paradox), or was there a temporary licence for WW to use them which has expired etc? Similar for anything else that might have been created or part-created by Wizards - say, icons, the original rulebook etc.

More
29 Oct 2015 16:59 #73935 by BenPeal

Is there any sharedable-with-the-outside-world, not-under-an-NDA clarity on who owns the intellectual property rights to the cards created by WotC? Did the copyright for - say - the cards in Jyhad or Dark Sovereigns get transferred to White Wolf (then CCP, and now possibly Paradox), or was there a temporary licence for WW to use them which has expired etc? Similar for anything else that might have been created or part-created by Wizards - say, icons, the original rulebook etc.

I personally don't have that information. I'm not trying to hide it - I really don't know. When I met with Steve Wieck, I did ask "What exactly does the Wizards license involve?" but he just mentioned the aforementioned patent and Deckmaster trademark, and that there were likely some other things but he didn't have the particulars handy. By "meeting with Steve Wieck", I really mean he happened to be passing through Germany while on vacation with his family, and Johannes and I met up with them for lunch. So, it wasn't a formal meeting, but rather a casual, friendly lunch and of course we talked about V:TES a bit.

More
29 Oct 2015 17:59 #73936 by brettscho
So would letters to Paradox reminding them that VTES is still being played, and that there are a lot of people who would be delighted to buy new and reprinted cards be of any help?

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
29 Oct 2015 18:40 #73938 by BenPeal

So would letters to Paradox reminding them that VTES is still being played, and that there are a lot of people who would be delighted to buy new and reprinted cards be of any help?

I would imagine so. Advertising ourselves seems like a good idea. :)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds