file Dragons Breath vs. Majesty

17 Oct 2011 09:23 #12134 by Amenophobis

Ammo (Dragon's Breath Rounds, Glaser Rounds, Manstopper Rounds)
Are played "before resolution of a gun's strike", not "when damage from a
gun is being resolved". That is, it is played after the strike is announced,
but before the strike resolution phase.
#
# Doesn't change much of anything, but helps resolve an inconsistency
# regarding Rotschreck. The timing is now consistent with Claws.

The timing is not consistent with Claws.:pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 11:53 #12140 by Pascal Bertrand
I guess the consistency, back then, was to have only things played before strike resolution work with Rotschreck (that is, consistency with the fact that, if you play Claws during strike resolution, it won't change the damage to aggravated)

More
17 Oct 2011 15:41 #12155 by AaronC
What is the consistency now?

If ammo is a strike modifier, then it should be played in the same window as other strike modifiers, with the limitation that there has to be a strike with a gun declared first.

Changing the wording on ammo ultimately changed when it could be played, perhaps unexpectedly. If the designers wanted it to be played in the previous timing window (after all strikes are declared), there would have to be some more explicit text or rule to that effect, IMO.

More
17 Oct 2011 15:49 #12157 by Pascal Bertrand
I'm not sure what a "strike modifier" is. Wolf Claws certainly isn't (since it doesn't mention the word "strike").

Now, when it comes to design and intent, the only way of knowing the truth is asking the person who changed the cardtext, and face it to the person who made the "only after strikes declaration" ruling. Since they are the same - LSJ - I suppose he didn't consider necessary to explicitely write "after strikes declaration". But my argumentation is as valid as whatever counterargumentation you might bring up.

More
17 Oct 2011 16:51 #12161 by AaronC
Since the term strike modifier is used in the complete rules reference, I assumed that it was a universally understood term.

Looking through the Google group, it is not a term that LSJ has used for a decade. Here is an example: groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/9758b468f6cecc90/952cc5179f1eed42?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=strike+modifier+lsj#952cc5179f1eed42

But you know, it's cool. I'll drop it. Ammo cards can only be played after all strikes are declared. Whether they work like other combat cards is not relevant.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds