file Re: Faceless Night x Deflection

24 Jul 2014 19:37 #64017 by Wedge
So minion B attempted to block, but failed after minion A played :OBF: Faceless Night. Minion C is successful their attempt to block. So minion B will tapped by FN "before" combat? This is (?) the same window as playing Obedience, so minion B will be tapped before minion C can play Obedience and cancel the action. Correct?

6.2.3. Resolve the Action

If the action is successful (all block attempts were unsuccessful), then the cost of the action is paid and the effects of the successful action take place. If the action is blocked, then any card played to take the action is burned (it is moved to the ash heap) and the blocking minion is tapped and enters combat with the acting minion (see Combat, sec. 6.4). The effects of the action do not take place when the action is blocked. Note that the action's cost, if any, is only paid if the action succeeds; the cost is not paid if the action is blocked. The costs of action modifiers and reaction cards are always paid when the cards are played, regardless of the success of the action.

Faceless Night
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] +1 stealth, and any minion who attempts to block this action and fails becomes tapped when the action is resolved (before resolving the action).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2014 19:58 #64018 by jamesatzephyr

The point that still confuse for me is: After fail ( decline ) to block the minion is tapped by Faceless Night?

Not immediately, no. They are tapped before the action resolves.

Example:

A: Arika bleeds you for 3.
B: Lucita attempts to block.
A: Arika plays Faceless Night for stealth.
B: Lucita declines to block. (Lucita is not tapped at this point.) Lucita plays Deflection, choosing player C.
C: Nergal attempts to block. He has a Bowl of Convergence for some intercept.
A: Arika plays Lost in Crowds, giving her more stealth than you.
C: Okay. Nergal declines to block. (Nergal is not tapped at this point.) Maureen, Dark Priestess plays Deflection. (Because she has inferior Dominate, Maureen is tapped by this.) I choose player B.
B: Oh. Hi there. Um, I can't block.
(The whole table implicitly declines to block with Eagle Sight and whatever.)
Neither Lucita or Nergal tap yet.
A: Okay, I play Conditioning for more bleed.
B: Oh, poo, that's going to oust me. I play Telepathic Counter with Quira, the Bitch Queen. *redraws card* Oh, and that doesn't give me anything else, so I'm still going to be ousted.
E: No, I don't want A (my prey) getting a VP, so I play Folderol with my Kiasyd.
A: Poop.
B: Yay!
No-one plays anything else.
Now we want to move on to resolving the action.
Now, before we resolve the action, we tap Lucita and Nergal.
Now we resolve the action, and B burns some pool, A gets the Edge etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascek, Sambomb

More
25 Jul 2014 05:14 - 25 Jul 2014 05:17 #64036 by Sambomb
Then the action of bleed is the only one that is not resolved after block decline?

IV - D - 2 - If action was not blocked, then the action is successful. [6.2.3]
Pay cost of the action.
Resolve action.

After block decline I must pay the cost if the bleed action is a Legal Manipulation for example.
In my mind you can only "bounce" after you receive the bleed ( So Tapped by Faceless Night ) like play a political reaction only after a political action pass the block step.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 05:17 by Sambomb.

More
25 Jul 2014 05:22 #64038 by Sambomb
A - bleed B
B - decline block to play deflection

Can C use Eagle Sight to block the bleed BEFORE the deflection?

If Yes and the bleed is not blocked (because :OBF: Faceless Night) and is bounced to C, C can try again with the same minion?

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
25 Jul 2014 05:38 - 25 Jul 2014 05:51 #64040 by Timo

Then the action of bleed is the only one that is not resolved after block decline?

Pay cost of the action.
Resolve action.

After block decline I must pay the cost if the bleed action is a Legal Manipulation for example.
In my mind you can only "bounce" after you receive the bleed ( So Tapped by Faceless Night ) like play a political reaction only after a political action pass the block step.

Nope

You can throw a lot of action mod/reaction between the decline block part and the resolution part.

For example, you have :

Babble

[Reaction] Reaction

[Dementation] Dementation

[dem] Give another ready minion +1 intercept.
[DEM] Tap this vampire to untap another ready minion. Not usable by a blocking minion

Detect Authority

[Reaction] Reaction

[Animalism] Animalism
[Serpentis] Serpentis
[Thaumaturgy] Thaumaturgy

Requires an anarch.
[ani] Only usable during a (D) action directed at a minion or location you control. The action ends (no cost is paid), unless the acting minion burns 2 blood immediately.
[ser] +1 intercept.
[tha] Reduce a bleed against you by 2.

High Orun

[Action Modifier] Action Modifier
[Reaction] Reaction

[Burn Option]

Requires a Laibon with three or more Orun.
For the remainder of this action, cards that require any Disciplines cost this Laibon 1 less blood, and your hand size is one card larger.

A - bleed B
B - decline block to play deflection

Can C use Eagle Sight to block the bleed BEFORE the deflection?

If Yes and the bleed is not blocked (because :OBF: Faceless Night) and is bounced to C, C can try again with the same minion?

Actually, A need to ask C (and D and E) if they want to block and so C would have the opportunity to play Eale sight and after that, he would have the opportunity to play action mod "after block are declined" and when he pass, B would have the opportunity to play deflection (or any other reaction playable in this window).

If C play eagle sight and don't succed to block and then B play deflection, a new block attempt window is open and C can attempt to block.

If no "this minion can not block this action" effect has been played (such as elder impersonation) then C can attempt to block with the same minion (but could not play eagle sight again with him).
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 05:51 by Timo.

More
25 Jul 2014 08:53 - 25 Jul 2014 09:17 #64053 by jamesatzephyr

No, and no other action works like you claim either.

Pay cost of the action.
Resolve action.

This is when you've moved on to completing the action, which is after everyone has declined to block. IV.C.5. Also note that if you're reading the CRR, there is no opportunity ever to play any +bleed action modifier - it doesn't say "Oh, and you can play cards here. And here. And here." at every point.

Also, as per the rulebook:

If a block fails (the acting minion's stealth exceeds the blocker's intercept and the blocker's Methuselah cannot add or does not wish to add more intercept), either another attempt is made (with the same or a different minion) or the defending Methuselah declares that she will not make any further attempts to block the action. Note that this declaration is an effect and so allows the acting Methuselah (and others) to play more cards and effects.
Sarah announces that Quentin is bleeding Alexis. Sarah has no effects that she wishes to play before Alexis decides whether to block, so Sarah says "Do you block?" Alexis decides not to block, so then Sarah plays Confusion (an action modifier that adds 1 to the bleed). Alexis is bled for 2 pool.

At the point that you say "No block", the impulse goes back to the acting Methuselah (and then everyone in turn, using the normal sequencing rules) to play all manner of effects, now they know that the action is unblocked, but not yet moved resolution. These are sometimes more prominent in bleed actions, such as bleed modifiers/reducers and bouncers, but you could, for example:

- have a vampire Bum's Rush one of your vampires, attempt to block, fail, and then play Faerie Wards
Only usable when an ally or younger vampire is taking a (D) action against you.
[reaction] [myt] The action fails. Tap this reacting vampire.

- a similar situation with Hide
[reaction power] Only usable during a monster's (D) action targeting this imbued. The action fails.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 09:17 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds