file Re: Faceless Night x Deflection

24 Jul 2014 14:19 #63995 by Sambomb
Obfuscate +1 stealth, and any minion who attempts to block this action and fails becomes tapped when the action is resolved (before resolving the action).

Whats the point of ( before resolving the action )

LSJ 20061213 states: Ruling: Declaring that one is not blocking is implicit in playing Deflection (unlike playing Telepathic Counter). That is, Deflection (and other bleed bounce cards) are played after blocks are declined. [LSJ 20000507][LSJ 20061213]

If you MUST decline to block to play Deflection, you should be tapped by Faceless night before you can play Deflection , you can play with another minion or with Forced Awakening/On the Qui Vive

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2014 14:29 #63998 by Timo
Actually, in VTES grammar, "before blah" means "just before blah".

So to be "before resolving the action" you must be about to enter combat or paying he cost of the action.

It means every opportuniy to play reactions and action modifiers have been dealt with.

More
24 Jul 2014 14:39 #63999 by Ankha

If you MUST decline to block to play Deflection, you should be tapped by Faceless night before you can play Deflection , you can play with another minion or with Forced Awakening/On the Qui Vive

No, because the action isn't resolving yet. For instance, a bleed can be redirected to another Methuselah.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
24 Jul 2014 15:15 #64000 by Jeff Kuta

LSJ 20061213 states: Ruling: Declaring that one is not blocking is implicit in playing Deflection (unlike playing Telepathic Counter). That is, Deflection (and other bleed bounce cards) are played after blocks are declined. [LSJ 20000507][LSJ 20061213]

If this weren't ruled to be this way, players would have arguments about whether they exhausted their block attempts or not.

A: I bleed. Do you block?
B: ...
A: Do you block?
B: I play Deflection.
C: I cancel the Deflection with Direct Intervention.
A: I play Conditioning.
B: I block.
A: Hey wait! You already declined!

This crap happened all too frequently in some playgroups before this ruling. Gameplay is much cleaner with bounce implying blocks are declined.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
24 Jul 2014 17:23 #64010 by jamesatzephyr

Obfuscate +1 stealth, and any minion who attempts to block this action and fails becomes tapped when the action is resolved (before resolving the action).

It means that when you get on to resolving the action, you'll already be tapped. So, for example:

- the failed block minion will be tapped prior to conducting the referendum of the political action, so won't be able to play Delaying Tactics without a wake

- the failed block minion will be tapped prior to conducting the rush from Bum's Rush, and so will be unable to play Heaven's Gate (Combat card: "Only usable by a ready untapped vampire not involved in combat.")

And so on.

Declining to block doesn't immediately move you to resolution. If it did, you wouldn't be able to do this:

A: I bleed you with Arika.
B: I attempt to block with Lucita.
A: I play Lost in Crowds.
B: I decline to block.
You don't move to resolution now.
A: I play Conditioning.
B: I play Telepathic Counter.

If you'd moved to resolution, Conditioning and Telepathic Counter wouldn't be playable, because:

Action modifiers and reaction cards can be played at any time before resolution during an action (unless otherwise noted on card text),

And neither of them say anything about being playable after resolution kicks in. So they get played before resolution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sambomb

More
24 Jul 2014 19:25 #64016 by Sambomb
Jeff, that rule is clear and the reason too.
The point that still confuse for me is: After fail ( decline ) to block the minion is tapped by Faceless Night?

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds