file Limit master cards?

24 May 2012 19:55 #31120 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Usally tends to end up stronger...

Oh, like compared to Otto's Shamblers or Joni's Potence guys? ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
25 May 2012 06:03 #31148 by Khaan
Replied by Khaan on topic Re: Limit master cards?
For the Stockholm play group, I do not think it is a fair assessment that there is a lack of combat or intercept at the tables.

Lackeyname: Kris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
25 May 2012 10:22 #31165 by Forhead
Replied by Forhead on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Usally tends to end up stronger...

Oh, like compared to Otto's Shamblers or Joni's Potence guys? ;)

Joni's win wasn't the usual. Dont take we wrong, he great deserved to win. Shambling hordes is one of those archtypes that I tend to choose over the Joni-style decks. And was (among other archtypes) what I were refering to.

Isak Esbjörnsson Bjärmark

More
25 May 2012 13:35 #31184 by Xaddam
Replied by Xaddam on topic Re: Limit master cards?
I feel like, about how to counter master heavy decks, cards like sudden reversal and uncoiling are quite irrelevant. It does slow a master deck down, of course, but it's hardly a counter. In the same way that a 75 card deck with 4 bounces is not a counter to a DEM weenie.

If you want to meta game against master heavy decks, and especially decks which rely on Ashurs to create their optimal library, I would recommend a fast deck which destroys (either ousts, kills its minions or create an unkillable setup) the deck before it has a chance to reach its crescendo. You can't create a slow bleeder, with light combat and some blood dolls for bloat to beat an Ashurs deck. You need something that increases in power at the same speed as the Ashurs deck or one that destroys the Ashurs deck before it gets off the ground.

Joni's pot rush is an example of a deck that kills Ashur decks before it gets off the ground and Otto's shambling deck is an example of a deck which can increase in power at the same speed. (Shambling Hordes is an incredibly powerful permanent, and Sudario has the same qualities as Ashurs.) I think this was the cause of their decks' successes (together with intelligent play and experience, of course).

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jussi, Dorrinal, Ashur, TryDeflectingThisGrapple, Ohlmann

More
27 May 2012 08:18 #31239 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Limit master cards?

Or Mind Rapes. Or Summon History. Or Unleash Hell's Fury. Or Parity Shift. Or Derange. Availability of cards is not an argument why cards are too strong.

And all these cards are not cards that you generally need 6-9 of to make just about any crap deck into a winner. I´m sure you understand the difference.

A Sudden slows you down to the point where 2-3 Suddens on the right cards slow you down enough that you probably won't make the gamewin unless someone messes up real bad.

But is this really "design intent"? That all decks should devote about 50 % of their master slots to be able to stop a Big cap vote with MMPA and Tablets, sb with MMPA and Tablets, rush combat with MMPA and Tablets, wall decks with MMPA and Tablets (and so on). Is this a evolution of the Vtes-game that we want? I think not.

And yes, sometimes it stoppes you dead cold like sometimes a No Secrets stops you cold. Or you get oisted in 5 turns because you wanted to bring out an 11-cap from position #2 and your predator is play Lagacy of Pander. But that's what happens.

I think there is a big difference about deck X stopping deck Y cold (which is as it always have been in Vtes, although I think for example No Secret also is bad design) and the impact of the MMPA:s+generic recursion-module. I don´t like the way it is altering Vtes.

But alright, if I´m not allowed to "theorycraft" I can´t say much more on the subject. I guess you are right, being a better player than me.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
27 May 2012 08:32 - 27 May 2012 08:35 #31240 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Limit master cards?

And all these cards are not cards that you generally need 6-9 of to make just about any crap deck into a winner. I´m sure you understand the difference.

Adding 6-9 Ashurs to a crap deck will not make it a winner. It will just make it slower and still crap. You just don't seem to understand there is an actual cost to playing Ashur Tablets. Probably as a result of you never actually playing them.

That all decks should devote about 50 % of their master slots to be able to stop a Big cap vote with MMPA and Tablets, sb with MMPA and Tablets, rush combat with MMPA and Tablets, wall decks with MMPA and Tablets (and so on). Is this a evolution of the Vtes-game that we want? I think not.

Design intent is that certain cards or strategies stop other cards or strategies.

For example:
Playing without bounce is usually a bad idea, unless you have an alternate plan to deal with bleed decks. These plans are, for example, rush or bloat. Alternatively you can just accepting that bleed decks will kill you.

Playing without some light combat is usually a bad idea, unless you have a backup plan for when you happen to run into Nephandus or War Ghoul decks. Backup plans may include extra Majesties, more presses to end or cards like Entracement. Or you can just outright ignore that part of your deck and accept that such decks will kill you.

Similarly, playing without Suddens is not a good idea in general, unless you have a backup plan to deal with Ashur/MMPA decks. These backup plans include rushing a lot or playing a fast deck. You can also choose to not include any Ashur/MMPA tech and accept the fact that such decks will kill you.

How is this different, really?

No of course you can't always counter all strategies in one deck, but that's where guessing the metagame comes in.

But alright, if I´m not allowed to "theorycraft" I can´t say much more on the subject. I guess you are right, being a better player than me.

Cute.
Last edit: 27 May 2012 08:35 by Izaak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds