file Vampire reboot more likely than new sets?

10 Nov 2015 02:07 #74182 by CalibanX
With the news of the new White Wolf ownership, I have a feeling that an entirely new, rebooted Vampire card game might be a more likely scenario than the printing of new Vtes expansions.

While vtes suffered from some unfortunate ownerships problems, the source of those problems is that the game didn't sell enough to make it a priority for it's owners. I think the reason for this is that V:tes is too complicated (and too long to play) a game to appeal to a wide enough market. I love the game and it still has a small but loyal fanbase keeping it going, but at this point, if I had the choice to choose between having new Vtes expansions or an entirely new, streamlined version I'd go with the later.

Why resurrect a game that suffers from a steep learning curve and overly complicated rules when you could have the excitement of an entirely new game that old players would be intrested in and would also be accessible to hordes of new players?

I think any new vtes reboot needn't be as tethered to WOD lore than it has to. For instance, while White Wolf fans love the Sabbat vs Camarilla vs Independents vs Laibon vs Anarchs vs Imbued thing; -for a card game, having multiple Sects is just needlessly cumbersome. Having 13+ Clans is variety enough, introducing new Sects adds a lot of needless terminology and superflous rules to an already complicated game.

Combat is another area that would have to be streamlined. It has way too many moving parts to make combat as satisfying a strategy as it could be. Perhaps a version that got rid of maneuvers, presses and combat ends? It's fun to at least consider what a more streamlined combat system might look like.

As I said, I love Vtes, but I think something new would be more intresting at this point than resurrecting the old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pivokrevnik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2015 07:25 - 10 Nov 2015 07:27 #74187 by alek
I would love to see some streamlining in vtes but at this point in time I think that new vampire game wouldn't be as welcomed to current players as new expansions to old vtes. There is a lot of players that want to play vtes not any WoD based game. If it would be up to me I would keep making new expansions but ban some mechanics and cards to make it less rules heavy f.e. whole hunters concept, research area, new card text for rotchreck, etc
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 07:27 by alek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porphyrion

More
10 Nov 2015 08:48 - 10 Nov 2015 09:07 #74190 by pivokrevnik
I second the OP completely.

VTES is far too convoluted now, with too many inherited design flaws, superfluous rules etc. We veteran players maybe got used to that, but its a stark realization if you try to explain VTES to a newbie...

I made a count using FELDB:
there are:
-35 different disciplines, including Imbued ones
- cca 50 (hard to count here) special rules and abilities (scarce, flight, cold iron vulnerability, burn option etc. etc.)
-12 different library card types.
-46 clans, including Imbued and separate tribu and antitribu
last two statistics further aggravated by the card layout, icons and colors, which were changing like every other edition...

I won't go that far to count how many pages of rules and card rulings there are.
Heck it feels more like a PARODY of some super-nerdy game. If I were a new player and someone throws this at me, I will probably say something like "umm I think I spend that time to get a law degree instead" :)
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 09:07 by pivokrevnik.

More
10 Nov 2015 09:15 - 10 Nov 2015 09:16 #74193 by pivokrevnik
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

There is a lot of players that want to play vtes

Is there, really?
I am not so sure.
The announcement of WW being bought by Paradox attracted about 3500 non-unique views. I don't know into how many unique views it translates, but judging by myself, I clicked on that topic 10 times or so, which would mean about 300 similar people worldwide?
I don't see any heated discussion about the recent news, anticipation... - just a few people discussing IP technicalities.
Judging by TWDA, there are about 4 tournaments a month worldwide (and by worldwide, I mean "in Brazil" :))), with average attendance of 10 players.
Lackey as the only serious way of playing VTES online attracts about 8-10 (same) players each evening, on a good day.

I mean yeah, there are people which probably still take VTES seriously, like this guy:

but...
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 09:16 by pivokrevnik.

More
10 Nov 2015 09:34 #74194 by Juggernaut1981
I have been working on a system that would feel familiar but different to VTES players, and while I have a draft... I wouldn't want to sabotage VTES's chances by putting it out there if the Inner Circle think such an idea would be detrimental.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
10 Nov 2015 09:40 #74195 by Ashur
No. No. And no. At least not now.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds