file Vampire reboot more likely than new sets?

13 Nov 2015 12:20 #74253 by self biased

- Ditch aye/orun or tokenize it (no more cards representing aye/orun but counters)

that would require orun and aye to be hard-coded into the rules. It might be easier to just leave them on the cards.

VTES needs to be pruned of obsolete useless rules and complexity added by sets, not changed.
Go back to basics, which was the success factor of VTES.

while I largely agree with this sentiment, I wonder if the Imbued mechanics were as well supported as Black Hand or Anarch tech if the community's opinion would be different. That being said, I'm profoundly strongly in favor of pretending Nights of Reckoning never happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 14:52 - 13 Nov 2015 14:52 #74255 by GreyB

that would require orun and aye to be hard-coded into the rules. It might be easier to just leave them on the cards.

Take a look at corruption counters, there are no rules other than those on cards. Same could be done with aye/orun. Counters in game but useless until you have a card that interacts with the counters.

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 14:52 by GreyB. Reason: formatting

More
13 Nov 2015 15:29 #74256 by ReverendRevolver

- Ditch aye/orun or tokenize it (no more cards representing aye/orun but counters)

VTES needs to be pruned of obsolete useless rules and complexity added by sets, not changed.
Go back to basics, which was the success factor of VTES.

while I largely agree with this sentiment, I wonder if the Imbued mechanics were as well supported as Black Hand or Anarch tech if the community's opinion would be different. That being said, I'm profoundly strongly in favor of pretending Nights of Reckoning never happened.

I feel like imbued should forget reworked , ditto to oddball rules.

Imbued need 0 powers, 0 creeds. They are allies, count as "mortal" and "imbued", get basic level disciplines, and can have at most one of each conviction. Special text can do what library cards do, you get conviction from deck when you get flipped, from discard or hand during untap.

Also, if we reprint cool named cards as playable cards, it would help. Orgy of Blood being useful? Yes please. This is tricky, but doable if we get printed again. We can even do variants of certain vamps if we want. This would be an alternative rather than a reprint. Do I play original Faruq or the new anarch one with superior everything? Do I play origional Appalonious with the adv or the new one that has -3 stealth but a cool ability? You get the idea. Just there as an option.

Events arent my beef anymore, but useless keywords need rethought. Why is "cannot commit diablery" a keyword but not "may enter combat with as an action"?

More
13 Nov 2015 20:32 - 13 Nov 2015 20:34 #74258 by CalibanX
Thanks for all of the constructive feedback folks. Reading all of your comments has helped me refine my thoughts about this.

So, when I think of a rebooted, vtes lite game, I'm essentially thinking of a game that looks more like Jyhad. Expansions that added new clans and disciplines to the game increased the strategic depth to the game, but many of the new rules additions did not or only added a very weak level of depth to the game at the expense of accumulating rules bloat and more wallpaper cards.

Any new expansions should operate within the existing rules of the game to avoid unnecessary quantitative complexity and redundancy. Example: Do we really NEED all the different Sects with their redundant terminologies? Consider titles: the 3 titles introduced in Jyhad was simple and easy to work with. Does it really increase the depth of the game to add new names for the same title (Prince, Arch Bishop, Baron, Magaji, Independent)? In my view, all of the sect-specific cards could have a similar strategic purpose if simply applied to existing clans, titles, and generation level.

I freaking love the idea of having multiple versions of the same vampire to choose from (forget merging though), if such a mechanic were liberally applied to a reboot, you might not even need the Grouping rule.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 20:34 by CalibanX.

More
13 Nov 2015 20:43 #74259 by elotar
Yea, grooping rule is idiotic.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
13 Nov 2015 21:20 #74262 by ReverendRevolver
I like grouping, as it allows increases balance for most situations. Its how we can go for so long without having set rotations. Some vamps hang out together, others don't.

Obviously g2 and 4 got a shit ton of everything that matters, but its still balance.

I'm more for reprints/ reissues of staples followed by what's relevant followed by the game rolling again. We can look at what to edit as it goes from there to make wallpaper playable and new again, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds