file What is missing from VtES?

17 Jan 2017 22:08 #80240 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic What is missing from VtES?

As for S:CE, well it actually makes combat more viable, hear me out, it's the only thing you have to counter most of the time. Take S:CE out of the equation, and now you need more cards to counter dodges, maneuvers and presses. So yeah, it would make some combat cards more relevant, but wrecks your combat strategy even more.

Obviously, this is the whole point of my idea - by making more combat cards viable we make combat as a strategy actually worse and move it further into the supporting position, where it belongs.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2017 09:18 #80241 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic What is missing from VtES?
The only point I have with SCE is that it trumps First Strike.

Gamewise it makes First Strike rather crappy and the evidence for that is that First Strike -cards do not really appear in any decks, let alone TWDA decks (didn't check though...)

Backgroundwise: If someone is using Majesty, which basically is on all the time, you ain't gonna be hitting them much, no matter how quick you are...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
18 Jan 2017 10:46 #80242 by TwoRazorReign

The only point I have with SCE is that it trumps First Strike.

Gamewise it makes First Strike rather crappy and the evidence for that is that First Strike -cards do not really appear in any decks, let alone TWDA decks (didn't check though...)

Canine Horde?

Backgroundwise: If someone is using Majesty, which basically is on all the time, you ain't gonna be hitting them much, no matter how quick you are...

Majesty can definitely fail. That's why you roll dice in V:TM.

More
18 Jan 2017 11:35 #80243 by elotar

Majesty can definitely fail. That's why you roll dice in V:TM.

As I remember, in most editions you can burn willpower to ignore presence for a round, then you hit with your 4+ strikes, so actually majesty does not really work in combat at all. :)

If we return to the VtES logic it's generally strange that you get time to grapple opponent before he plays SCE, but you got no time to shoot him.

Also First Strike in VtES is not only "being faster", but also striking when other vampire is not ready to defend (Muddled Vampire Hunter, Backstab, Silence of Death ets), so logic of "you got no time" not really works here.

More
18 Jan 2017 12:03 - 18 Jan 2017 12:12 #80244 by elotar
Statistics of Secret Library 15+ TWD from the beginning of 2010

"Real" First strike:
Muddled Vampire Hunter - 21 decks
Quick Jab - 2 (!)
Backstab - 0
Collapse the Arches - 0
Shadow Feint - 0
Silence of Death - 0
Veil of Silence - 0

Destroy/Steal Equipment with first strike
Canine Horde - 80 (!)
Fast Hands - 9
Blessing of Durga Syn - 0
Shattering Blow - 0

Other Effect with some first strike option
Anesthetic Touch - 9 decks
Meat Hook - 3
Forearm Block - 0
Haymaker - 0
Talith - 0

So actually there are two ways of action - remove First Strike from the rulebook and just add text with its effect to 4-6 real cards with it, or make it more useful (and logical) by allowing it to resolve before SCE.

The second option, as I see it, will also have effect of making dodge/SCE comparison more interesting as well as will add a little to Assamite combat. Total win! ;)

Last edit: 18 Jan 2017 12:12 by elotar.

More
18 Jan 2017 13:36 #80245 by TwoRazorReign
Eh. First strike has a niche at the tournament level, and it's to destroy equipment. It's very effective against gun decks. Also consider that first strike has its place in casual decks. I don't think there's a need to change mechanics that have existed since 1994 because it's not logical or has limited use at the tournament level.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds