file Modern and legacy as formats

26 Nov 2021 16:21 #104012 by GiftsUngiven
Speaking from experience with new players, they don't enter tournaments and are much less open to showing up to regular games because they are overwhelmed by the number of cards they must keep up with. My group has players that showed up to First Blood events and don't want to move one from those decks because it's overwhelming and I can't blame them. I play for a year and I still haven't tried to build a deck myself because it's just so overwhelming. Older established players will always be important to introduce people to VTES, but it's much easier to tell someone "you only have to learn about these 4 or 5 decks" than "be prepared for almost 30 years of cards".

I find it hard to believe that future larger tournaments would have both formats. They would either have one or the other and it will most likely be the current one.

Prince of Porto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2021 16:41 #104013 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Modern and legacy as formats
OK,

I read your article and it was very interesting.

I know that learning VtES is hard... And that playing against a deck with a big number of cards you don't actually know is more so.

And I revise my first judgment : an entry-level format could be a thing to help new players get started. My fear is to have 2 equally important formats which could split the community but "nooby-friendly tournaments" is not a bad thing.

This autumn, we had a tournament (non-sanctioned) where only translated card could be used. I guess that this kind of tournament could become a thing.

And for what you say in your article about the need for local game stores to make VTES weekly night, I agree but I think you should try to make it happen with your local Game store.

We do it since about forever in Paris and we have 2 weekly sessions one of them in a Game Store. And it is great !

More
26 Nov 2021 16:52 #104014 by GiftsUngiven
I don't think the new format would ever be equally as important as the old one unless BCP pushes for it, which I don't think they will.

How is your experience with new players during those weekly sessions? Do you see interest in VTES picking up in Paris?

Prince of Porto

More
27 Nov 2021 10:13 #104019 by Lönkka
Some possible problems with newbie tournament format:

1) how do you define a newbie?
2) if you have only inexperienced players participating more mistakes than usually will be made unless we have a judge/judge stand-in at each table. Finding enough experienced people willing to devote basically a whole day for watching people play a tournament might prove difficult.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Nov 2021 10:25 - 27 Nov 2021 10:25 #104021 by GiftsUngiven
You don't have to define what a newbie is. The new format would be aimed at newbies, but not closed to anyone. I don't even think it would have to necessarily be a tournament format but a mere league format that new players could play every week at their LGS.

Isn't having more inexperienced people interested in VTES a good thing for the game's longevity?

Prince of Porto
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 10:25 by GiftsUngiven.

More
27 Nov 2021 14:23 #104025 by smeeag
Replied by smeeag on topic Modern and legacy as formats
>Isn't having more inexperienced people interested in VTES a good thing for the game's longevity?
It's a false dichotomy. Nobody advocates for making game less interesting for newbies.
Low total number of cards is definitely not the only thing required to have good growing community, and artificially limiting card pool in addition to its benefits also have several drawbacks affecting entire community (including newbie players).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds