file Modern and legacy as formats

16 Dec 2021 23:10 #104211 by Nac
Replied by Nac on topic Modern and legacy as formats
I think "staple" as a concept is somewhat harmful when you think about a new format: it brings to the table the main reason not to diversify formats. Why would I play a different format if that format doesn't have all the things I like?

For me the answer from that question is on the different aspect of it, the sense of developing new metagame and new staples which in turn brings new designs in order to balance and diversify. We all know it wont be that different yet there is space for change there which is easier than change on the whole game.

Other side of it is how to improve draft/sealed gameplay, perhaps not close enough to a new format but in the same spirit of trying to get a different thing.

Products are the way in which either/and/or those different things, if any, are curated/developed so they're always secondary to objetives (to diversify play or to get an easier access point, I'm not quite sure which one of them is first and it makes things a little different depending on which one: if you want to diversify, you try to get a new metagame and if you want an entry point you keep the same)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2021 09:14 #104214 by Lönkka
You get as many copies you need when buying from Drivethrough.

And looks like that the definition of staples varies a lot. ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Dec 2021 20:43 #104243 by ReverendRevolver
I don't think anyone would argue over certain cards being staples (govern, deflection, deep song, eyes of argus...) based upon how good they are and are used.
But the cards that people want to debate could be potentially replaced by new cards that solved issues with what they're replacing. Fir the record, AfB is good because it chains into itself and creates a scenario with Crows where in a vacuum you do 3r damage and take nothing until your opposition is in the dirt or you're out of AfB.
Conversely, Blur could be improved. I don't agree with Lonkka (even though i typically do) about side strike over blur. But it costs a blood and nobody uses the basic level unless they have to, so :cel: strike dodge :CEL: burn a blood for 2 additional strikes is a better card. That could be printed instead of blur.
Just like OntheQ didn't make wwef or Forced unplayable, a new better version can still be used along with the original. Everybody wins, I don't have to unsleeve copies of blur from decks if I don't want to, etc.

But speaking of staples, I'm REALLY itching for PoD freak drives. I need other things too, but Nothing will be as satisfying as being able to keep decks assembled after buying 37lbs of Freak Drive, Eyes of Argus, Deep Song, and Smiling Jack.

More
20 Dec 2021 07:39 #104247 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Modern and legacy as formats
For the record, we have 3 combat cards from celerity in modern format. Flash, Pursuit, Quickness. I'm quite sure it isn't enough.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
20 Dec 2021 23:10 #104252 by Nac
Replied by Nac on topic Modern and legacy as formats

For the record, we have 3 combat cards from celerity in modern format. Flash, Pursuit, Quickness. I'm quite sure it isn't enough.

Resist Earth’s Grasp, on Toreador starter deck.

But on the big picture, it is enough for what purpose? .44 is on the format so Celerity should have a very careful approach to card pool. Only prevention cards are Hidden Strength and Bear's Skin so strike + pursuit + quickness is already at the top of available options

More
21 Dec 2021 14:31 #104257 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Modern and legacy as formats

Resist Earth’s Grasp, on Toreador starter deck.

But on the big picture, it is enough for what purpose? .44 is on the format so Celerity should have a very careful approach to card pool. Only prevention cards are Hidden Strength and Bear's Skin so strike + pursuit + quickness is already at the top of available options

But there are Govern, Conditioning, Revelations and all stealth you may need in the pool and, by the way, no AI. So I think there is no point in discussing celerity at all. :P

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds