file Modern and legacy as formats

26 Nov 2021 14:19 #104006 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Modern and legacy as formats
Just my 2 cents :

I think introducing format in VTES would not be a good idea right now...

I mean that right now we are about 1k people playing VTES competitively around the world (this number is not random, it is based on the fact that as of today, players having 5 points of rating are tied 946th in the ranking).

The community is scarce and this week end there will be an impressive number of players at the Spanish championship with an estimation of about 150 players. It IS a good number and I am a little bit sad I can't go but it is also a rare thing.

And what would happen if there was a modern Spanish championship and a legacy Spanish championship ?

I guess some players would attend both but chance are that there would be 1 championship with about 100 people and the other with about 50 people. Cool for these "big" events. But what about the more "normal" tournaments which are between 10 and 25 players right now ? Will they become between 8 and 20 at best ?

It is my opinion.

And I don't like it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2021 14:29 #104007 by GiftsUngiven
I think a new format is absolutely vital to this game. I recently wrote about my first year playing VTES and one of the negative aspects of the game is its accessibility to new players. It's hard enough to get new people to give it a try and telling them they have to learn about 100's of cards is a sure way for them to completely lose their interest. VTES needs an entry-level format for new players to learn the game and graduate from there to the current format where all cards can be played.

Prince of Porto

More
26 Nov 2021 14:59 - 26 Nov 2021 15:00 #104008 by Bloodartist
As long as there are enough players for the format, introducing it in no way detracts from the normal, "all cards"-format. So its purely a positive thing. I am however sceptical whether there will be enough players for the limited format yet.

I am not particularly interested in it because I would have to invest heavily in new cards whereas I can play the old format with the cards I own.. This does not mean that you shouldn't play it, just that I am unlikely to participate in such events.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 15:00 by Bloodartist.

More
26 Nov 2021 15:17 #104009 by GiftsUngiven
I think older players are not the target of this new format, at all. Those are already invested in a much superior format and although they can find some enjoyment in a more limited format, I'm sure the vast majority will prefer the freedom of creating decks using cards from the game's past.

This new format is an entry point to new players: they won't have to be knowledgeable about 100s of cards and dozens of decks in the metagame and will be able to get anything they need from their LGS. I'm a new local organizer and those are the main obstacles I find with new players, myself included. I've yet to venture into creating my own decks because the amount of good cards is just so overwhelming, but I'd love to give it a go in an environment limited to v5 decks only.

Prince of Porto

More
26 Nov 2021 15:30 #104010 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Modern and legacy as formats

introducing it in no way detracts from the normal, "all cards"-format. So its purely a positive thing.

I fully agree and any player that thinks otherwise is not "really" interested in growing the community. The existence of other/more than one format is an enabler, not a blocker for ALL....people with just new cards play in the new format and aren´t intimidated to stay away from competing and people with "all" cards can choose to play in either or both formats and win even more.

More
26 Nov 2021 16:04 #104011 by smeeag
Replied by smeeag on topic Modern and legacy as formats
I'm not sure I have final opinion about two competitive formats instead of one, but I see arguments like "it will be easier for new players to start learning game because tournaments played with both formats and they don't have to learn 4k cards" very weak.

New players do not prepares for their first tournaments sitting in the deck-builders.
They learn the game by playing real games with real people.
And unless it's completely new community (which will most likely play almost exclusively with "modern" cards regardless of competitive formats), it will be older established community, which is not going to enforce card limit for casual evening games. And they will have to check older cards and be prepared they exist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds