lightbulb Worthy reprints for new players and BCP-only format

29 Mar 2022 09:24 - 29 Mar 2022 09:24 #104888 by GiftsUngiven

In my opinion it's mainly a question of accessibility. We are getting a steady flow of new players, and we want them to be able to play the game without hitting a "price wall" to get good decks.

You might not be following the price trends on E-bay but, for example, Narrow Minds, Ossian and Aranthebes are nowhere to be found anymore and got over $20. The Parthenon and Nana Buruku are in the $15 range and rising. My Enemy's Enemy is nowadays worth $10 in any edition.

Printing the most sought-after cards first is important if we don't want the new players to feel like "okay, accessible game to play with your friends, but top level is very expensive". Today My Enemy's Enemy is twice the price of Ashur Tablet: I think it is a strong signal that, yeah, we are getting quite a few new players, but also that we need to curate to them properly. Any card that is "top level" and broadly played (and sought-after) should be reprinted fast or we will lose a lot of momentum.

I think the best format for new players would be 5th edition forward only (the card pool would be all 5th edition decks plus the upcoming New Blood, for now). I know this severely limits creativity for older players, but they must remember that this format is precisely about limiting deck construction so new players can enjoy the game while not having to familiarize themselves with a large card pool.

As for the old staples, I'm not sure what BCP's reprint policy is on Drivethrucards, but I find it odd that cards that see a ton of play, such as the ones you mentioned, were left out. I know they are tackling it one clan at a time (that explains Nana), but library cards should have been reprinted according to some sort of priority, right?

Prince of Porto
Last edit: 29 Mar 2022 09:24 by GiftsUngiven.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2022 10:45 #104889 by elotar
I think it should be something like 1 master card and one trifle per master phase action.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
30 Mar 2022 09:04 #104901 by GiftsUngiven

I think it should be something like 1 master card and one trifle per master phase action.

What are you referring to here? A rule change?

Prince of Porto

More
30 Mar 2022 12:23 - 30 Mar 2022 12:23 #104906 by elotar

What are you referring to here? A rule change?

Was drunk. I meant you can play one trifle and on regular master per phase, all other MPA you can use only on abilities of vampires, cards and something other not requiring playing master cards.

Rule change.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 12:23 by elotar.

More
30 Mar 2022 14:00 - 30 Mar 2022 14:26 #104907 by inm8
Basically saying that "+1 / get an additionl master phase action" should read "make the next master card you play this turn a trifle"

The Parthenon

Cybele

Isanwayen
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 14:26 by inm8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
30 Mar 2022 15:18 #104909 by Lönkka
Which is essentially the same as I've been suggesting. But bit less straightforward and you'll need to errata plenty of cards.

Whereas with my suggestion you only need to revise the rulebook.

"Actually I'm not advocating ban for ANY cards adding to MPAs, but nerfing the actual Master Phase so that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO EXCEED PLAYING TWO (2) MASTER CARDS in your master phase. In any way. Be it Trifle or some other means. Two per turn, tops."

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds