check Work-In-Progress preview of the upcoming Anarch-themed set

15 Sep 2015 21:19 #73142 by TwoRazorReign

The template currently says this:

"More than one discipline can be used to play this card."

What if it said this:

"More than one discipline can be used when playing this card."

Why not just "More than one discipline can be used"? I think the rest of the template is unecessary. Plus, it's less text.

A bigger problem is the "Only usable as the action is announced" Template. This could be interpreted as "You can only use this card because an action is announced," which would not make sense. A native English speaker would understand the intended meaning clearly ("Usable only when the action is announced"), but someone with less command of English might interpret it the other way. I realize this is already a common template used on many cards and is not likely to change. It just always bugged me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2015 22:06 - 21 Sep 2015 00:36 #73143 by mjvtes521
I think that Ben Peal's suggested altered wording is much more clear and involves no additional words. Sounds good to me. I appreciate your response, Ben. I'm glad to have been heard.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 00:36 by mjvtes521.

More
15 Sep 2015 22:23 - 16 Sep 2015 00:27 #73144 by Juggernaut1981

The template currently says this:

"More than one discipline can be used to play this card."

What if it said this:

"More than one discipline can be used when playing this card."

Why not just "More than one discipline can be used"? I think the rest of the template is unecessary. Plus, it's less text.

The extra words are mostly about helping to stabilise the way it interacts with the rules. I'd have suggested a "You may use any or all disciplines on this card" phrase, but functionally its the same as the one Ben's written.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 16 Sep 2015 00:27 by Juggernaut1981.

More
17 Sep 2015 05:10 - 17 Sep 2015 05:11 #73167 by koko Loco
"vampires in VTES who are Anarchs in the canon, but LSJ decided to have them be Camarilla to represent an overall theme of Anarchs in hiding. This makes thematic sense for some, but not all of these vampires"-BenPeal

Thanks for that insight Ben, as it always annoyed me that they released the "Anarch set of the past without the majority of the crypt cards being Anarachs in the first place. Very glad you folks have rectified that with this upcoming expansion.:)
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 05:11 by koko Loco. Reason: typotypo

More
18 Sep 2015 01:04 #73191 by brandonsantacruz
There is some good discussion here and I very much look forward to anarchs being more viable.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
18 Sep 2015 15:39 #73211 by Pascal Bertrand

Quick note on Keystone Kine : its template ("cel and/or obf and/or nec: Bleed. If using ...") works fine for action and strike cards. It doesn't work at all for action modifiers, reaction, and regular combat cards (they would read "cel and/or obf and/or nec: [nothing]. If using ...")

Another problem with that template is the excessive use of "and/or". Most style guides for American English discourage the use of "and/or" because it is not easy to read and unecessarily wordy. Replace "and/or" with "and" in the template and it would mean the same exact thing.

Although this would be true for American English-speaking players, it would totally not be the same for other players. As Ben said during the EC presentation of the set, we need to make sure we don't create ambiguities (or at least we try to reduce their chances of occurring). With that in mind, enforcing "and" to mean "and or or" on a card would make most cards unintelligible. Ben's example was the usage of semicolons, which varies from the US-English, and, for isntance, French.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds