file Horrific Countenance

20 May 2012 19:26 - 20 May 2012 19:39 #30808 by jamesatzephyr

Wakes do not have specific text and they are still playable by the very same ruling...

The example given - Waking to cancel a card - is covered by rule 1.6.1. (Between 1.6.1.1 and 1.6.1.2.) Wakes are explicitly allowed in the 'as played' slot, by the rules. There has been an evolution over numerous rulings towards Wakes being 'special'. (Why only Wakes, it's not clear. But it's pretty consistent.)

And you are obviously wrong, since cardtext is confusing on many levels. All I am saying that this card needs an official look into. Why are you against it so stubbornly?

All I am saying is that 3000 cards need an official look into, because I don't have a clue what the designer intent is on all 3000 cards.

Chop chop, get to it. Right now. I need designer intent on every card in the game, stat. In every conceivable situation. Irrespective of every ruling that's ever been issued. I need you to reformulate every card interaction that's ever been possible, ever, right now.

Why are you against following an explicit ruling - a ruling which you claimed was non-existent! - when it addresses the situation?
Last edit: 20 May 2012 19:39 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2012 19:28 #30809 by jamesatzephyr

Nevermind, Forced Vigilance suggests that being blocked is a lasting state. I think you're on the right tracks on this.

No more than Cats' Guidance does.

These are cards that meet the ruling on action modifiers and reactions - they say they can be played after a successful block and (if there's a combat) it goes after the block combat.

Horrific Countenance doesn't.

More
20 May 2012 19:49 #30812 by Suoli
Replied by Suoli on topic Re: Horrific Countenance

Nevermind, Forced Vigilance suggests that being blocked is a lasting state. I think you're on the right tracks on this.

No more than Cats' Guidance does.

These are cards that meet the ruling on action modifiers and reactions - they say they can be played after a successful block and (if there's a combat) it goes after the block combat.

Horrific Countenance doesn't.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the ruling on Pocket Out of Time. There's no explicit text allowing it to be played after combat but the fact that the effect is triggered after combat was ruled to be an implicit permission.

More
20 May 2012 20:40 #30815 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Horrific Countenance

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the ruling on Pocket Out of Time. There's no explicit text allowing it to be played after combat but the fact that the effect is triggered after combat was ruled to be an implicit permission.

It's about intuitiveness. The card allows to restart a combat, it is intuitive you can play it after a combat to restart a combat (though concerning Power of All, you can't play it during a combat, which is not intuitive at first sight).

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0bdd478084d856f4

"when" in cardtexts such as Horrific Countenance (and rulings) indicates the moment the card can be played, so it's equivalent to "immediatly after/at the moment when". You can't play it later during the same action.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 May 2012 22:41 #30820 by Suoli
Replied by Suoli on topic Re: Horrific Countenance

It's about intuitiveness. The card allows to restart a combat, it is intuitive you can play it after a combat to restart a combat (though concerning Power of All, you can't play it during a combat, which is not intuitive at first sight).

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0bdd478084d856f4

Intuitiveness is not a good basis for a ruling when it goes against logic.

(As an interesting sidenote, LSJ never seems to have explicitly stated or confirmed that Pocket Out of Time is playable after combat. It's almost as if he is avoiding it.)

"when" in cardtexts such as Horrific Countenance (and rulings) indicates the moment the card can be played, so it's equivalent to "immediatly after/at the moment when". You can't play it later during the same action.

Rulings on cards like Deflection suggest that "when" means "within timing window x": you don't have to play Deflection immediately after blocks are declined.

Deflection
Type: Reaction
Requires: Dominate
Cost: 1 blood
[dom] Only usable when you are being bled, after blocks are declined. Tap this reacting vampire. Choose another Methuselah other than the controller of the acting minion. The acting minion is now bleeding that Methuselah.
[DOM] As above, but do not tap this vampire.

Forced Vigilance suggests that a block is a window that includes the following combat, if any.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megabaja

More
21 May 2012 07:03 #30833 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Horrific Countenance

Rulings on cards like Deflection suggest that "when" means "within timing window x": you don't have to play Deflection immediately after blocks are declined.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're wrong: you have to play Deflection immediately after blocks are declined, *as soon as you have the impulse*. That's why you have to wait until the acting minion increases the bleed amount or declines to do so.

If you don't play Deflection at that time, it's too late. (And I don't really understand when you would play it otherwise).

You may do something else of course when you have the impulse, eg. reduce the bleed amount with Telepathic Counter. The impulse then goes back to the acting minion. When you get the impulse back, you could still play Deflection because you're still in the "after blocks are declined" immediate window.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds