file Outside the Hourglass and Vampiric Disease

28 Jun 2012 16:31 #32586 by prunesquallor
Pardon me for being dense, but does this change how Outside the Hourglass interacts with Disarm and Pulled Fangs, if the combat ends before range is determined?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2012 19:04 - 28 Jun 2012 19:05 #32590 by Ankha

Pardon me for being dense, but does this change how Outside the Hourglass interacts with Disarm and Pulled Fangs, if the combat ends before range is determined?

No.

The real problem comes from Vampiric Disease which doesn't state exactly when you get a counter.
VD could be changed to "after range has been determined" (with "after" meaning "immediately after") or "at the beginning of the choose strike step".

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 28 Jun 2012 19:05 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascal Bertrand

More
28 Jun 2012 19:23 #32593 by Juggernaut1981
Interesting that LSJ is implying (from the old Mariel Lady Thunder & Elysium rulings) that there is NO range before the determine range is set (i.e. VD can't trigger because there is no range until the determine range step is completed).

But later we have people insisting (and rulings insisting) that Disarm should respond to the damage from Outside the Hourglass...

Why can't we just keep it nice and simple: Damage dealt before range cannot be counted against damage that must occur at a specific range. The argument I remember seeing here on these forums basically went: "There must be a range before there is a range, and since the default is close then it must be close". So, honestly, I can't reconcile the Disarm Ruling (which says that damage before range is Close Range Damage) and the traditional rulings on things such as VD and Mariel (which says that damage before range has no range).

Pascal,
It sounds like you need to pick ONE premise and apply it to ALL cards (changing any appropriate rulings no matter who made them and when).

1) Before the Determine Range Step there is no range

OR

2) The range is always close unless the Determine Range Step changes it to Long.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz, TryDeflectingThisGrapple, Reyda

More
29 Jun 2012 09:30 #32609 by Ankha

Interesting that LSJ is implying (from the old Mariel Lady Thunder & Elysium rulings) that there is NO range before the determine range is set (i.e. VD can't trigger because there is no range until the determine range step is completed).

Could you provide a pointer? I've browsed the different links in this topic and couldn't find what you're talking about.

1) Before the Determine Range Step there is no range
OR
2) The range is always close unless the Determine Range Step changes it to Long.

Option 3) the current ruling, which could be summarized as "The range is known once the Determine Range step is over". It's as valid as the 2 others (and is official).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
29 Jun 2012 15:08 - 29 Jun 2012 15:10 #32611 by Megabaja

Option 3) the current ruling, which could be summarized as "The range is known once the Determine Range step is over". It's as valid as the 2 others (and is official).

What happens if a minion A plays OtH in combat with the blocking minion B with Improvised Flamethrower. Before range step ends, the minion A plays maneuver to long, then B moves to close, then A back to long, and range is set to long.
So, from this moment range is known, and OtH damage is dealt on long, but when minion B takes that unpreventable damage from Improvised Flamethrower's text?

If the opposing minion inflicts any damage on this minion at long range (even if it is prevented), this weapon is burned and the bearer takes 2 aggravated (non-strike) damage.

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 15:10 by Megabaja.

More
29 Jun 2012 15:29 #32612 by brandonsantacruz
I believe the correct answer is that the judge's head explodes.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds